1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are your favourite vocabulary learning games on Smartboard/Powerpoint?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by musiclover1, Apr 6, 2012.

1. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

I've done partially hiding the object with a shape, and I've done removing one object and the pupils have to say which one's disappeared, and I've done naughts and crosses to death. So, what shall I do next, to revise/practise objects in the bedroom, for example?

2. You could also magnify a small part of the furniture and they have to guess.

3. You could try a "c'est quel numéro?" activity; I've done this using a numbered noughts and crosses grid and it's fairly easy to introduce challenge, for example, le tiroir c'est quel numéro? and then move onto numéro deux qu'est-ce que c'est? I tend to do this to revise previously learnt vocabulary or as a means of checking whole class understanding at the end of a game of noughts and crosses.
    I've done "guess the flashcard" activities in the past and they are successful especially if you introduce a competitive element to the game and split the class into 2 teams. If you have the time to prepare flashcards, then "beat the teacher" is always a good one to try; this just means having 5, although it's up to you how many you students you pick, volunteers to the front to hold the flashcards whilst you point to each one, say the word and the class are to repeat it, if the flashcard and word are the same. For example, you have a flashcard of a bed, you point to it say "un lit" and the class repeat, then this is correct and no-one wins the point. However, if you were to point to the flashcard of the bed and then say "une lampe" and the class repeat "une lampe", then the teacher wins the point. The class can only score points, if they remain silent when the word and flashcard aren't the same. If that makes sense. Most classes I've used this with enjoy it, although it's probably better with ks3 classes; year 9 at a push. It depends on the group of course.
    Another variation on this is to have some of the words written in either French or English on a whiteboard; not necessarily the IWB and 2 volunteers to the front to face the board, each with a board rubber or some tissue, I call out the word and the first student to erase the correct word wins a point. To explain this better, if the words are written in French on the board then I would call out the English word, so that the students are looking for the correct translation of it and vice versa. This works well as a team game with some element of competition to it.
    That's all that comes to mind (unless you have Task Magic at your school which is really good, but it's no good talking to you about it, if you don't have it!); hope it helps [​IMG]

4. I have found the most useful feature of the whiteboard to be a vaguely square shaped plastic thing with three metal prongs. As long as that is not connected anywhere near a wall, the class can get on and discover/learn vocab for themselves, in various old fashioned ways. Apparently, it is also now de rigeur for children to do a certain amount for themselves! In that way they do not have to be constantly entertained by me trying to ape IT games of which they have far superior knowledge and for which any amount of time investment will never hope to satisfy their jaded appetites in this respect. They actually prefer, they tell me, some things without IT. And don't talk to them about PowerPoint...
    Have you seen the recent thread about Tarsia - very good. Requires IT from you, scissors and brain from them. They love it.

5. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

(Take 2 on this response!!)
    I agree with gmjhorne - wihile one or maybe two children are interacting with the IWB or answering a question based on its content, what are the rest doing? Get them working in pairs or groups. Mine like having a set of mini-cards with the pictures and the words, and inventing games to help each other to practise the vocabulary. This blogpost might give you some more ideas http://changing-phase.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/it-gives-me-great-pleasure-to.html

6. musiclover1

You've lost me on the vaguely square shaped metal thing with the three plastic prongs![​IMG]
    Yes, I like activities best where pupils work in pairs. One activity I use a lot if for pupils to work in pairs with one pupil acting out a sentence and the other pupil guessing it in the TL (requires no preparation!). We did that with the rooms of the house for example. But in this case I want a class activity that revises the words that we practised before the holiday - because I rather suspect that some individuals will have forgotten most of them. And I want it to be different, so that they don't think: 'here we go again'. I think I'm going to do a vocab match from Linguascope as a starter, followed by one of their games. I might to the 'guessing magnified parts of the furniture' idea.
    Yes, we've got Task Magic, but I've only just discovered it and it's at school, whereas I do my preparation at home. That'll be something for me to add to my repertoire next term.
    Thank you for all your ideas.

7. Hi
    I use some simple web games I've 'bodged' together with a colleague in breaks. Have a look at http://manxman.ch/moodle2/course/view.php?id=5
    The memory game with sounds works well. You basically find 10 or 12 pics relating to 10 or 12 words or phrases. Record the words as mp3 files numbered 1 - 12 and the game will work.
    The great advantage is that no textual translations are used at all. Using the games with phrase extracts from a short text is even better. I often print out the wordsearch game as homework.
    Support for English, French, German and Spanish at the moment.
    Regards

8. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Why can't we just use the TIHAFLI method...
    Take It Home And Learn It.

9. avalonfr

avalonfr New commenter

I use mini - whiteboards for testing. I give pupils a word /phrase/question.and they write their answer on their own individual whiteboard. Then I ask them to " montrez- moi" . Great way to see who has/hasn't got the answer. Also good for differentiation - " Johnny, how would I make that plural/past tense/ negative...?" Also a good way to give individual feedback.
    I use these a lot with my classes. Ofsted really liked them, too!
    Just watch what kids are drawing on them when you're not looking, though!!!

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

[​IMG]

11. Why learn vocabulary at all?
    It's abstract and has nothing to do with reality. I've converted my website vocab-games to only work with a short text. See http://manxman.ch/moodle2/file.php/5/Newgames/demogame-en/Menu.html (best with Firefox)
    Try it. My kids retain vocabulary much better when linked wih a real situation.
    Regards

12. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

As my mum used to tell me when I had to go back to my room and spend a bit more time on my "voc d'allemand" before she could test me again, "you may know all the most complicated rules of grammar that the German (or insert FL of choice here) language has, but if you have no vocabulary to use it with, you simply won't be able to say anything."
    By all means learn words in context, but some words will always take their time before becoming engrained in your memory, particularly if like my mum, you think that spelling and gender do matter. I hated her at the time, but it's served me well!

13. musiclover1

When there's a picture or a dialogue or an activity with the vocabulary then the vocabulary is not 'out of context'. It's just learning more words and phrases in order to communicate better. You practise in class and then consolidate at home.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Partially covering a picture of an object is a bit of a time-waster in MFL as the pupils are spending time trying to work out (in their heads in English) what the object is before they then put their minds to recalling the MFL word.
    It would be far more 'on task' to give them the English word and ask them to come up with the MFL version, perhaps in the format of a vocabulary test where all pupils are involved in the exercise! Using mini whiteboards would give you instant feedback.

15. musiclover1

I think they'd be going through the words in their minds in German as the vocabulary has been covered recently and they know it must be one from their list. I'll give them a test, but not without prior warning,and not just after a holiday. I might use the mini-whiteboards.

16. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

The way I've done it with mini-whiteboards in the past is to put all the TL words on the board, then say the English word and they have to copy onto their boards the correct TL word and hold it up. Therefore they are reading, understanding and writing all in one activity.

17. musiclover1

Thank you for all the suggestions. In the end, I did anagrams of the furniture as a starter (settling activity), followed by a pair work activity where they had to ask eachother about their solutions for the anagrams (saying 'keine Ahnung' if they hadn't managed to figure them out). They also had to ask eachother 'Was ist das auf Englisch?, to make sure they still knew the meanings. This worked well and we then did another quick pair/group work activity asking eachother about our holiday (just because it was the first lesson back) before moving onto the new topic of describing your room using adjectives. This worked well and I'm looking forward to using the mini-whiteboards at the earliest opportunity - and to trying out all those other ideas.