1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are your favourite infant topics?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by annie apple, Jun 1, 2012.

1. annie apple

annie apple New commenter

Hi - I'm beginning to think about topics for next year. I have a mixed yr 1/2 class, very boy heavy and would like to know everyone's favourite topics. What worked really well for you and got the children really engaged?

2. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Our 'Toys' is always a winner. The boys especially like the 'Traction Man' stories

3. toss up between water and sand for me... what about lego.. arrgh! [​IMG]

4. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

Dinosaurs!

5. For boys - definitely Dinosaurs, with Pirates in the Summer,

6. Castles, Dinoaurs and Space.

All children enjoy them, and I enjoy teaching them.

7. Minibeasts - my boys have spent hours hunting for them!

8. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Dungeons & Dragons was a winner.

9. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

I too have a very boy heavy class (Reception - Year 2). Our top topics have been Pirates, Dinosaurs and Space. Lots for every-one to enjoy.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My boys loved the map aspect of Europe and really enjoyed Titanic. They've been okish with seaside, but I've not taught much of it someone else has so it has been a bit bitty. Everyone is looking forward to the Olympics topic next term.

11. annie apple

Thanks everyone - lots of good ideas to get my teeth into [​IMG]

12. Mine loved Space Quest (including the first moon landing) Amazon Adventure and Weird, Wacky and Wonderful which was an art lead theme looking at artists like Hundertwasser, Yayoi Kusama etc. Lots of funny poetry and stories too.

13. comenius

comenius New commenter

This year I've done superheroes, destination outer space, pirates mermaids and wild things, castles and Africa and the boys have loved them all. Next topic is wonderland, not sure what they'll make of it though!

14. pjmteach

pjmteach New commenter

We loved Dinosausrs, Castles and Frozen Planet was a great hit ..... especially with the Milk Bottle Igloo.It generated some very good work and lots of excitement.
    Have fun

15. comenius

comenius New commenter

Frozen planet sounds interesting. What sorts of things did you do? Thanks

16. annie apple

Frozen planet sounds great and I'm intrigued by the milk bottle igloo - how did you make it?

17. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

Hi,
    I was thinking of an arctic themed topic for next year-can I ask what sort of things you did in Frozen Planet topic.
    Many thanks