1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are your favourite golden time activities?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hb21, Sep 18, 2008.

1. So far this year I've done parachute games and icing biscuits and my class really loved both. I'm trying to think of things that are a bit different from the toys we have out every day.

2. So far this year I've done parachute games and icing biscuits and my class really loved both. I'm trying to think of things that are a bit different from the toys we have out every day.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Free choosing play when I can mark work while they play/draw/colour. But then I have KS2.
    If you want whole class, you could maybe watch DVDs.

4. My Year 5 have suggested having a film, playing games like connect four etc, having outdoor games, extra time in ICT suite.

So far have scoured charity shops and found some exciting games for them to use. Also the £1 shops are ideal for crafty things to make as a small group. You're not left too much out of pocket here.

5. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Last year my class enjoyed having a movie and popcorn, we pretended we were at the cinema with chairs in rows and the latest DVD from Blockbuster.

The class voted to 'save' their golden time for 3 weeks to have this treat, and they loved it.

6. When I was in KS1, they loved the brio trainset out (used to belong to my son) fisher price garage, matchbox cars (well, tescos own which are much cheaper) polydron shapes and scrap paper and crayons. I also had a plastic dolls tea set from tesco and some dinosaurs.
    Only been in ks2 a few weeks but have tried teaching them to make things - so we've made a fortune teller (one of those origami folded things ) and an origami hat and this week I am going to try a greetings card that looks like a crocodile made from green paper - htink I got the idea from enchanted learning. Next week I was wondering about pasta jewellry.

7. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

We organise golden time across the whole school and children get to pick activities offered by different teachers. I've done ICT, playground games, crochet, knitting, origami, bingo, beetle drive and card games.

check out this website for good ideas and resources.

http://www.golden-time.co.uk/

8. Fantastic link!!

I have to admit just allowing my Year 5/6 class free choice or a movie and popcorn and it's great at first but gets a bit boring-I always let them vote but they never have any ideas. Will let them look at the website and see what ideas they fancy- thanks[​IMG]

9. Thanks there are some great ideas there, I especially love the idea of a cinema The website looks great too. I'm teaching year 1 at the minute. This week as the weather was so nice we did outside play as they haven't had that much time with the year 1 outside toys yet. Last year when I was in year 2 we walked them down to the village park for golden time and that was brilliant but this year I've got a couple of children whom I don't trust enough just yet to take down there!

10. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Haven't had my own class for a while but used to have: special felts and crayons/pastels only for use at GT, similarly games, laminated mazes and other puzzles, optical illusions, photocopies of origami designs (with special papers), a couple of music keyboards (and headphones - essential!!), special plasticine/Fimo, special books and of course use of a computer (never unfettered use of the Interweb!!).

I ran a points system based on our behaviour policy, those with most points got first choice.

11. We have had a wide range of activities - planting bulbs , hairdressing, mud pies, water fights, big art, build a bear fashion shows, the chocolate game, blind trail, races, paper snowball fight, ice cream sundae making, talent shows, DVD and popcorn. But the problem is that you end up spending 5-£10 per week if you aren't careful or organised enough to ask for parent contributions!!