1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are your class making for Mother's Day?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Nosy x

2. Nosy x

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errrrr my class? Nothing because I forgot that KS1 probably ought to and so didn't plan it in. But ****** have posted to my FB page with a link to lots of bits to do with mother's day. So I might get them to make a certificate or a picture/writing note to take home with them.

I hate mother's day. I don't have one and haven't ever really had one, so I always felt left out as a child and being kindly told to 'make one for an auntie or another lady then' isn't helpful! And I always forget to notice/think about it now as a teacher! Grrrr!

But I'm trying to be good and positive and all that at school at the moment, so if anyone has any excellent and lovely (but easy to manage) ideas then I might steal them!

4. Luke88

Luke88 New commenter

we are making handmade paper flowers, using pipe cleaners as the stems, which we are going to put in a handmade gift bag, with a special message ont he gift tag. My wonderful creative LSA has made the templates for me as she is very creative. This will double up as a present and a card thus killing two birds with one stone. We are also short of time as it is science week so have a full week of science afternoons and a trip on Friday. The one my LSA made today looks very good so I am hoping that they turn out well :)

5. I am KS2 and have already made cards with felt flowers decorated with buttons. We've written things they love about their mum inside.
    Last year I made a card with a vase pocket of paper flowers. The card 'stems' had chores that the children promised to do, such as 'keep my room tidy for a week, or 'do the dishes for one night' etc. You could also just write reasons you love mum.

6. dbu

dbu New commenter

why do they all have to make something - we talk about it and what the day is about then leave it up to the children if they want to make something themselves. I am in eyfs and would hate to sit on a conveyor belt of lets all make the same for our female grown-ups!!
    As a mum myself I appreciate the things my children make for me off their own back much more than anything they've made cos they were told to and of which every other mum had exactly the same.

7. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I'm not making any cards this year, as two of the children in my class have no contact with their moms.

8. I dunno why they all have to make something. It's expected that we will in my school and I aren't putting people's backs up by questioning it. I also wouldn't want any of my class feeling inadequate because siblings in other classes had made something and they had nothing to give. If any of my chn. had lost their mother, I would try to find a way to be 'too busy' to squash it in... Anywho, I asked the PPA teacher and she's making a card with them so I think I'll just leave it at that. I might also steal somebody's nice idea of making their mothers a token to redeem against a chore. Thanks for sharing, everyone x

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've got two who have infrequent contact so I told the class today they would be making a special card with their picture on and they could give it to their Mum for Mother's Day or they could give it to someone else (it doesn't actually say 'Mother's day' on it). Several children, not the two concerned, shouted out that they would give it to their Grandma. It has to be treated sensitively but I don't want to deprive other children either, both children are aware that they have mothers. It's a tricky one.

10. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

f*** all

11. In my experience children are always very happy to make gifts for their family and if they are given choices in terms of design, colours, materials, messages etc then no two cards are the same. Even if they are 'told' to make a card the children are always very proud of it and can't wait to give it to the person that it's for. I would appreciate a card my daughter made at school in a directed task just as much as one she'd chosen to make because I know they'd still be a lovley intention behind it, even if it wasn't her idea to make it. I certainly don't regard making Mother's Day cards as this awful conveyor belt where children are all miserably rolling out the same card!
    I'm not sure what we'll be doing yet but we will be making something for Mother's Day. Whatever we do I'm confident that the children will be pleased to make something & we won't end up with 30 gifts that are all the same. Infact the children may even choose to make the card/gift (or a version of it) for someone after Mother's Day because they will be inspired by what they've done- this is what has usually happened in the past.

12. As a mother myself I would just like to say that when my children have made cards at school for Mother's Day it is very special and I have kept them all.
    There are occasions when children have lost their mother and this is of course difficult to deal with but Mother's Day is a special day and should be celebrated. It is especially important for families who may not be able to afford to buy a card or gift for their mum as it makes the child very proud of their hand made card.

13. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Yes. This is important, but we couldn't possibly learn a few dates in history. That would be a waste of time.

14. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Don't do Mother's Day in KS2. The infants do it.

15. I was just about to get creative card stuff out Friday pm and tell them to be creative. I prefer the open approach (year 4).
    However, I was told today that we are missing maths in order to make the cards tomorrow morning. NOT IMPRESSED!!!!!
    Got to think of something specific now, as it is expected. I may still give them a few loose ideas and encourage their creativity, which is being stifled and squeezed out in my opinion.
    Sorry, mini rant over now. Happy hump day!!

16. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

We made cards with fingerprint flowers. They've also planted marigold seeds and are going to wrap the pots in tissue paper.