1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are your best Christmas / Winter Ideas for your class?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by StarbuckEducation, Nov 26, 2017.

1. StarbuckEducation

StarbuckEducation New commenter

Hi,
    I just wondered what everyones favourite things are to do with their children at Christmas / Winter. I enjoy making cards and an individual Christmas decoration out of Salt Dough. I also like to include the story Stick Man and have an Role-Play themed around an Elf Workshop. I am also interested in using the Elf on the shelf as a stimulus to add Elf Challenges into free-flow for children who are interested. I have made a video here.

From a religious point of view, I like to teach the story of Mary's journey and break it down into sections leading up to the birth. I also find using the lego bible pictures a nice resource for this. Usually I do a Nativity around this time and use the songs throughout the day in the background whilst the children are playing.

What are your favourite ideas for Christmas / Winter?

2. JeffNev

JeffNev New commenter

I think that the concept is excellent. However, personally, I have heard some negative stories with regards to the 'Elf on a Shelf' and some young children having nightmares after the elf being introduced in their homes. Is this something that you too have experienced?

An acquaintance of mine sends his son to a local early years nursery in Brighton
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    and they have been learning and performing Christmas songs in Spanish, which I think is an excellent idea, especially as it assists in the development of language learning later in life.