1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you using for planning maths?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by frothycoffee, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I currently work my planning around the primary framework and teach in their suggested order. What does everyone else use?
    I feel that I would prefer just to look at the expectations for the level the children should be achieving by the end of the year and then work through all of the skills at the children's pace. I would prefer to teach shape for a whole week, etc.
    What are people's thoughts?
    Thank you

2. I currently work my planning around the primary framework and teach in their suggested order. What does everyone else use?
    I feel that I would prefer just to look at the expectations for the level the children should be achieving by the end of the year and then work through all of the skills at the children's pace. I would prefer to teach shape for a whole week, etc.
    What are people's thoughts?
    Thank you

3. I'm with you frothy, I don't like the thought of doing 3 different things over one week. I don't see how the children can really get to grips with an area of maths if it isn't consolidated over the week - just my opinion though!
    I would prefer to teach one area (in maths) for a week, making sure that I include a challenge or a problem that the children must complete applying their skills taught at the beginning of the week. As using and applying is the area of weakness for my school. In my school we use APP grids to track the children's progress and when I move into Year 2 I will use these to inform my planning, just as I use the e-profile in EYFS. If the children don't get it you can always revisit it at the end of the year, in the same way if the children have all already achieved in one particular area you don't need to spend heaps of time on it.

4. I have this issue at the moment as I am due to teach Block C which is primarily data handling - something they find easy and can do! So what is the point in reteaching it?
    Granted there are things I can teach to extend knowledge in the area, but I do feel two weeks is too much. I want to a lot more number work to address gaps I have realised after recent assessment.
    I spoke to the maths coord about this, seeing as the framework has been archived anyway and her suggestion was to stick to the framework but plan number work within the restraints of 'data'. Easier said than done I think but will give it a go! I can see how this would work with word problems, but cannot see how I can do this for 2 weeks. I might just plan a few days of data and spend the rest addressing gaps with a note on my planning to explain why im doing this. I dont see the point in wasting time teaching things they already know.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Lesson to be learnt here...never ever ask co-ords for their opinion. Just get on and do what you know to be best for your class.
    I use levels to teach my class and not the framework at all.

6. I'm due to do data handling, and like you, I feel the time would be better spent on number skills. I think I might just spend a whole week on data handling and the other week on number.
    We have just implemented Big Maths in our school, so I am planning my number according to their skills progression. This is causing me problems however, as the framework is telling me to do number skills that I won't have covered yet as Big Maths goes one step at a time.
    Thanks for your thoughts.