1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, Oct 18, 2015.

1. KellieWise

KellieWise New commenter

Brave by Rose McGowan and Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ by Daniel Goleman.

Lidnod likes this.
  2. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

That is on my ‘maybe list’ so I’d love to hear what you think of it when you have read it!

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I once attended a conference in Nottingham where there was a live question and answer by satellite ? with Goldman . It was hosted by the National Colleges and the ‘ host ‘ was John West Burnham - so two chaps I really rate . A good day

Reading - just re visited ‘Capital’ by John Lanchester - excellent and ‘ A Gentleman of Moscow ‘ by Amor Towles - stunning.

About to start the new Stuart Maconie about the NHS or may look again at ‘Playing to the Gallery’ by Grayson Perry. Am enjoying his Art Club.

Lidnod likes this.
  4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

[​IMG]

Almost finished this astonishing book. Turns out a plant knows enough not to break lockdown rules imposed by one's own boss.

Lidnod likes this.
  5. Plague, by Albert Camus

6. The Plague, Albert Camus. (forgot to put the article!)

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

About to start the new Michael Connolly

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Wish I had not bothered - so so poor

Lidnod likes this.
  9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ben Fergusson- ‘ An Honest Man ‘

10. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

"Olive Kitteridge" by Elizabeth Strout. Heard her interviewed by Jane Garvey on Woman's Hour, who was a huge fan, and I am hooked too. A lovely book.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Struggling to finish - just don’t get in on any level. Fabulous reviews and I read his fist novel which I really rated- so disappointing.

13. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I'm about two thirds of the way through Gone with the Wind. I started it at 16 and gave it up as it was too big an undertaking with everything else I had going on at the time. Yes, the references to slavery and black people jar in this day and age but the actual storyline and characterisation are fabulous. I still haven't decided if I like Scarlett or not! I saw the film a long time ago and don't really remember it.

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Nora Webster by Colm Toibin. I read it a while ago and put it forward as a good book group read so I'm no rereading it ready for the meeting in 10 days. Highly recommended.

15. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

I’m re-Reading Ken Follett’s Kingsbridge trilogy before the prequel comes out in September. I’d forgotten how good they are, especially The Pillars of the Earth.

16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Louise Candlish ‘The Other Passenger ‘- you do need to suspend belief and none of the characters are likeable but I wanted to know what happened at the end. Not as good as ‘Our House ‘

17. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Just finished Agent Running in the Field - le Carre. The best since The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. Loved it.