1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, Oct 18, 2015.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I have laughed uncontrollably out loud reading this book . I think it is something you can dip into very successfully.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Attica Locke ' Heaven My Home ' - disappointing. Have enjoyed and rated her work to date.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Antisemitism: Here and Now by Deborah Lipstadt.

Very interesting collation of incidents, thoughts and concerns. Interesting the range of possible antisemitic actions.

HistoryEducator likes this.
  4. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Girl, Woman other by Bernadine Evaristo...its great

5. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Have this on my list . Enjoyed her 'Mr Loverman'

7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I read Blonde Roots and thought it was good. This one is superb. Move it up to the top of your list.

8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I'm reading Music and Silence by Rose Tremain - an author I have only recently discovered. I enjoy the historical detail in her work. I have not long finished The Colour and I wasn't aware that there was a gold rush in New Zealand.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wake by Elizabeth Knox.

A survival/horror thriller set in New Zealand.

10. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

I'm reading American Dirt by Jeanine Cummings. It's about migrants fleeing cartels and violence in South America by heading for the USA. Finding it a compulsive read.

11. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

I bought the book but I have tidied it away somewhere!

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's worth finding.

13. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’m almost at the end of...

The New Silk Roads: The Present and Future of the World

Follow up to the fantastic 2015 book: The Silk Roads: A New History of the World

Author: Peter Frankopan

Can highly recommend both if there is anyone who hasn’t yet read them.

14. Lidnod

Lidnod Lead commenter

Fierce Bad Rabbits by Clare Pollard: The Tales Behind Children’s Picture. Books. I struggled at first with seeing the biographical element as irrelevant but, in the end, appreciated that I had got to know the author and her family, and deepened my understanding of many well loved books. (Stickman, in particular, is enriched, and even more poignant to me now.) I enjoyed Fierce Bad Rabbits so much I gave a copy to my daughter, who is doing a fine job sharing picture books with her little boy, currently one and a half.

asnac likes this.
  15. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Currently re-reading (3rd time?) all the Hornblower novels by CS Forester, this time in chronological order rather than publication order. Now nearing the end of A Ship of the Line.

Also reading King Lear, which I've never actually seen.

Recent reads:
    The Wych Elm (US: The Witch Elm) by Tara French. A very observant writer with creative and original turns of phrase; a good thriller/mystery set in modern Dublin.
    The Woman in the Window by AJ Finn. Well-written and intelligent, same genre as above, keeps the surprises coming.
    The Secrets you Hide by Kate Helm. Mined from the same seam as The Girl on the Train etc. but not as good; didn't finish.
    The Story of the Treasure Seekers by E. Nesbit. Reading this as an adult, you pick up on the sad back-story of the father's insolvency and see how the mother's death - almost never actually mentioned - continues to loom over the children - all would be missed by the audience at whom it was targeted.

Lidnod likes this.
  16. Lidnod

Lidnod Lead commenter

I loved the Nesbitt books as a child, read some to my daughter when she was young and came back to them as an adult when I got a kindle. I tried one of her books for adults but didn’t make it through. Maybe I should try again now...

asnac likes this.
  17. CaptainTuttle

CaptainTuttle New commenter

Currently rereading The Chronicles of St. May's series by Jodi Taylor. I'm up to book 8 And the Rest is History. Not at all helpful when working from home as I just want to curl up with a cup of tea and disappear into the time travelling chaos of the disaster magnets of St.Mary's... oh well, work first, read after.

Lidnod and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  18. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Chronicles of ST M are amazing. Gotta get 'em all. Reading Tintin and the Secret of Literature

Lidnod likes this.
  19. Lidnod

Lidnod Lead commenter

I will have to try the Chronicles! Love Jasper Fford.

Currently reading, The Laughing Baby: The extraordinary science behind what makes babies happy. Easy to read, full of insights, by developmental psychologist, Caspar Addyman.

20. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (currently - I'm going through the whole series)

Both on Kindle - each time I finish a chapter of one, I skip back to the other.

Both for the third or fourth times.

Lidnod likes this.