1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, Oct 18, 2015.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Loved ‘Life after Life ‘ - did not want it to end.

Romping through ‘ Tombland ‘ - class !

lanokia and BertieBassett2 like this.
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I've just read "The Field Of The Cloth Of Gold" by Magnus Mills. And I've given it a five star review on GoodReads.
    Well.
    I think I need to read it again, but I'm not actually sure I can. Stodgier than his other books,and yet somehow of more import. For me, it was an out and out lambasting of Britishness and British, no, English, history.
    Then again I might be wrong. All of his writing is completely unhinged.
    I struggled for a few hours after reading to recall what other book this evoked to me, then I came to it-Harvest, by Jim Crace. Abysmal read yet by one of my otherwise favourite writers.
    Both books are allegories for the ad hoc parcelling up of land and the ethics (or lack of) behind town settlement and development.
    Sorry, a very very boring sentence. The Magnus Mills book is far more entertaining! Recommended as both satire and wistful doom mongering.
    Not for prudes, because it is about them. And tents.

3. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge.

Rather slow going so far... interesting enough but not a speedy read.

5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’m re-reading this to remind myself how spot on Sagan was about many things that have now come to pass. :( It’s dated a bit now of course, but the fundamentals are still as relevant as they were when he first wrote it. Great man.
    2089360C-EB96-475E-9539-E2E26183D867.jpeg

6. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

Thus Spake Zarathustra
    By Friedrich Nietzsche.

Some I find difficult to follow, yet some prescient and powerful:

"there are those who hold it a virtue to say 'virtue is necessity'; but deep down they only believe police are necessary"

What an acurate description of the politically correct and their attitude to freedom.

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Wolf and the Watchman - depraved, bleak, cheerless and disturbing.

8. MereWill

MereWill New commenter

Sir Michael Caine "Blowing the Bloody Doors Off : And Other Lessons in Life"
    Totally would recommend!

Jamvic likes this.
  9. Chrollo1996

Chrollo1996 New commenter

The Last Wish - Andrzej Sapkowski.

I'm loving it! Blows the video games out of the water.

10. VersusSR

VersusSR New commenter

A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Backman
    Not comic as presented but good.

lindenlea likes this.
  11. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Herman Koch's The Ditch. I loved The Dinner and have read a few of his now.

I like the way he creates characters, some of them thoroughly unlikeable, causes you to form opinions about them and then shows you you've completely misjudged them and got the bad guys and good guys all wrong. He does make me question how and why I judge people.

12. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker. I received it for Christmas and was a little dubious as I had heard mixed reviews, but I am enjoying it so far.

13. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen. I do like crime and forensics, with a bit of horror - which most of her books are!

14. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I found this rather repetitive ?
    Just finished 'The Lady in the Lake ' by Laura Lippman - it was ok
    Mark Billingham's latest - something with secrets in the title - needed editing - far too long. Not much of a plot line.Glad it was a library loan.
    Started Howard Jacobson ' Live a Little ' - laugh out loud and quirky

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Last week I read Liza of Lambeth by Somerset Maugham: a short read at 130+ pages but an interesting glimpse of slum life in the late Victorian era. I also read The Perfect Girl by Gilly Macmillan, which was an entertaining page-turner.

I'm now reading Lady in Waiting by Anne Glenconner, which I asked for as a Christmas present. Fascinating and very enjoyable.

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm on Love is Blind by William Boyd and not really enjoying it. The sex in it is really yucky, as opposed to Normal people by Sally Rooney which was full of sex but handled brilliantly. Not an easy read I didn't think, it created so much tension, but a good book.

17. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Just started this today. Enjoying so far.

Best recent: The Murmur of Bees Sofia Segovia. It’s on kindle unlimited or 99p if you don’t have that...and was a very pleasant surprise, rather than the trash that you often find there.

Beautifully told story set in 1920s/30s Mexico with the backdrop of the revolution. Magical realism and simply lovely to read.

18. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I used to be a huge William Boyd fan but his more recent novels have been poor. I think this one started well but then deteriorated rapidly. I keep hoping for a return to form. I think I gave up on the Sally Rooney :);) if this was her first novel ...

19. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

About to start' Diary of a Somebody by ' Brian Bilston ( hopefully a laugh ) and have ' Things in a Jar ' by Jess Kidd on my shelf plus 'Washington Black ' 'The Bindings' and ' Little ' on my shelf - all library loans .....

20. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Ah - I love his poems so will have to check this out!