1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, Oct 18, 2015.

1. VersusSR

VersusSR New commenter

The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart by Stephanie Burgis.

I love that novel. Specifically, I love its bold, flawed, impetuous heroine, Aventurine. Most of all, I love how Aventurine's dragon sensibilities reveal so much about human behaviour and motivation - the hideous, the good, the indifferent. It's an utter delight.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ha ! This made me smile . I too have come to the same conclusion about ( too ! ) many books... :eek:

Anyhow I have just ordered ( used copies ) of
    The Year of the Fat Knight - Antony Sher
    Good Samaritans- Will Carver
    Big Sky - Kate Atkinson

and hyper ventilated when I saw one of my
    ‘ heros’ Mark Radcliffe has just published a new book which I am tempted to ‘click and collect ‘ ... and to hell with the expense :D . I am / he is worth it :)

friedgreentomatoes likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Just finished ‘ Good Samaritans ‘by Will
    Carver -woah ?! !

Started ‘ Big Sky ‘ - Kate Atkinson but a bit underwhelmed to be honest currently ?

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Went to a talk about "The Rapture" by Claire McGlasson. The talk was also about Faber and Faber. Once again I thought I should go back and read TS Eliot again. At college I simply didn't have a clue what he was on about. Btw, the novel looks really good but I haven't read it yet.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Finished ‘Big Sky’ - dreadful :eek:

6. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

Oh dear! Have you read her other Jackson Brodie books? I was really looking forward to this but it has quite a lot of poor reviews on Amazon so now I am not sure!

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes all of them. Loved Life after Life too but have tried unsuccessfully to get to grips with A God In Ruins on two occasions. I paid 85 pence plus postage for my copy of Big Sky on a website . So glad I did not spend more !

friedgreentomatoes likes this.
  8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I'm currently reading Dead Lions by Mick Herron ( the second book after Slow Horses, which was a Book Club title.) Quite good, his characterisation is skilful.

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

These come highly recommended I know but I have tried a couple and found they just don’t do it for me ? :(

10. BertieBassett2

To be honest, @minnie me, I struggled with Slow Horses but had to read it for Book Club. The lady whose choice it was presented it so well that I decided to try the next one and I have more patience with Mick Herron now! In fact, I bought the fifth in the series (published this year) in hardback for only £2.99 in my local Oxfam shop. The detective genre isn't for everyone but have you read the Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling Strike series? I enjoyed those books as well.

11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes - read the JK Rowling stuff . Enjoyed the first Strike novel very much but struggled with the others in the series ...
    ( Love Tom Burke and Holliday Grainger in the televised serial though to be honest ) The last one was a tome ! Re reading Philip Kerr’s Bernie Gunther novels . They are outstanding.

12. sammyangel161

sammyangel161 New commenter

At the moment I am reading Tomorrow when the War Began by John Marsden.

13. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

I'm reading "How it was" by Janet Ellis.
    I've struggled to get into this book, but at last I'm getting to grips with its style, as it jumps about a lot, from various pasts involving different characters to the present. I am determined to finish it!

14. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

I am reading Rachel Ray by Anthony Trollope. I know how it is going to end and I am exasperated by them all. But the fascination of the mind and morals of Trollope keeps me reading.

15. BertieBassett2

I'm currently reading Educated by Tara Westover - about 25% through. Although it's a bit hyped up, it's an interesting read with an enjoyable first person narrative.

16. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Fiction: 'End Game' Daniel Cole - a 99p Kindle Book of the Day. Readable but I guessed the plot twist and the final outcome about a third of the way through.

Non-fiction: 'Legacy' Thomas Harding - fascinating, well-written social and familial history about the founders of Lyons Corner House.

17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Tombland - quite a tome ! Abandoned ‘No Way Out’ ( Cara Hunter ) about 15 pages in - life is too short ;). Suspect ‘ Sleep ‘ by CL Taylor will go the same way . Library fodder so no harm done :rolleyes:

18. BertieBassett2

I've had to abandon 'Educated' to re-read 'Go set a Watchman' for Book Club this week. It is a real let down after 'Mockingbird' and I gather Harper Lee didn't want it published.
    @minnie me, Tombland is wonderful! Love the Shardlake series!

19. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

I've just finished Cockroach by Ian McEwan. It was funny but somewhat preaching to the converted. Just about to start Jess Phillips' Truth to Power.