1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, Oct 18, 2015.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Yes I have to say I checked a few Amazon reviews and a lot said it was overrated - I will persevere with it but don’t think I’ll read any more of hers.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The library is your friend :) ...

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I have spent the day in the garden racing through ‘ Cruel Acts ‘ by Jane Casey. Enjoying it

4. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

I finished Diarmaid MacCulloch's biography of Thomas Cromwell yesterday - very thoroughly researched, extremely readable and fascinating. I've just started Kick, a biography of Kathleen Kennedy. On the fiction front, I am halfway through the fourth book in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Two books.

Fiction: All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. After a slow start, in which I found the the prose overstylised and annoying, I've now got used to it and am really enjoying it.

Non-fiction: How To Read Water by Tristan Gooley. The man's enthusiasm is utterly infectious. It takes some talent to make a 400 page book about the physics of water in the real world, both engaging and endlessly informative, but this book nails both. An absolute joy.

6. BertieBassett2

Like you, I struggled to get into that story - too much description for my liking. However, the characters saved it and I'm glad I persevered with it.

nick909 and minnie me like this.
  7. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

I have his book Silence and his long historical study of Christianity. Must get around to those soon.

Just started this:

[​IMG]

The book is aimed at a non-philosophical readership but those with a more specialized knowledge of the subject who liked the Blade Runner movies might find it worthwhile too.

Robin Bunce is an intriguing editor and contributor. He writes very well and is presently at work on a biography of Diane Abbott. He was recently on Radio 4 discussing the Black Panther movement in Britain.

Routledge are also going to publish a book on philosophical aspects of Blade Runner 2049 very shortly.

Taking both movies together, by my estimation that means that there will then be five books in print of this kind.

lanokia and friedgreentomatoes like this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo. A very good read although the plot has a couple of elements that don't add up to me. Still loved it and her prose flows smoothly making it a real page turner.

friedgreentomatoes and minnie me like this.
  9. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Dracula by Bram Stoker. Just finished Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

lanokia and friedgreentomatoes like this.
  10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I loved this book too.

Just finished the new Val McDermid which I found very disappointing. To be fair I was not impressed with her last Tony Hill / Carol Jordan outing and this was no better. Not sure if there will be a return to form ?

friedgreentomatoes and lindenlea like this.
  11. friedgreentomatoes

I quite liked the latest McDermid but agree that the last Hill/Jordan one was unimpressive, and frankly unbelievable. Thanks to your earlier post @minnie me , I have just started Becoming by Michelle Obama.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Trouble with Fleishman - err not convinced despite very favourable reviews

13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Second Sleep - Robert Harris . Huge fan of his but not enamoured to date. Could be me ? ;)

friedgreentomatoes likes this.
  14. friedgreentomatoes

I also love Robert Harris, but there are quite a lot of poor reviews of this one on Amazon. I really like the sound of it, so shall be disappointed if it doesn't live up to expectations. I remember reading The Fear Index by him a few years ago and hating it - it seemed almost to have been written by a different author.

minnie me likes this.
  15. friedgreentomatoes

Quantum by Patricia Cornwell. It is dreadful - I am persevering at the moment because I hate not finishing books but I may not make it to the end.

16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes - me too and yet the Rome trilogy and the Dreyfus novel amongst others were exceptional. Yes give it a go though - nothing to lose ?
    ( nearly accessed the reviews to ascertain what was going on o_O ) !

17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Second Sleep - dire

18. BertieBassett2

I'm reading - on my daughter's Kindle - The President is Missing (James Patterson in collaboration with Bill Clinton.) I took it to read on holiday - it's ok but I'm not exactly au fait with American politics, so a lot of the storyline is probably lost on me. I'm half way through and will aim to finish it.

19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The Old Ways by Robert Macfarlane. I'm reading it slowly as its quite dense. it describes a collection of journeys - walks and sailing, and the people RM travelled with. its very poetic and I am enjoying it. I've read it before but this time it was my choice for my book group so thought I'd better read it again. I look forward to it each evening.

20. friedgreentomatoes

I forced myself to finish Quantum - quite possibly the worst book I have ever read. I'm currently reading Harbour Street by Ann Cleeves - good old fashioned detective story.