1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, Oct 18, 2015.

1. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

I've just finished Take Nothing With You by Patrick Gale. Absolutely wonderful.

2. rararasputin

rararasputin Occasional commenter

I've just finished reading 'Bookworm - A Memoir of Childhood Reading' by Lucy Mangan - a lovely book that you can dip in and out of easily.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Birdcage Walk by Helen Dunmore, just getting into it. Just finished Undercliff by mark Brend ( married to my niece) It was a mystery and I like his plain unornamented style but he didn't answer all the questions he posed - at least, if he did, the answers were buried and I didn't spot them.
    I love Patrick Gale - you've just reminded me how much @friedgreentomatoes . Note to self - put it on the kindle.

friedgreentomatoes likes this.
  4. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

Just finished The World at War by Mark Arnold-Forster - the accompanying book to the landmark 1970s TV series. Excellent.

Now reading Stasiland by Anna Funder. Life in East Germany behind the Berlin Wall.

minnie me likes this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I LOVED Stasiland ! Also ‘ Travellers in the Third Reich by Julia Boyd - tremendous

Startedin82 likes this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The World @ War - v powerful and the televised version - superb music

Startedin82 likes this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Bitter Orange by Clare Fuller . Err I finished it but parts I hated and yet on the whole I felt it was accomplished - make sense ?

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

‘The Five ‘by Hallie Rubenfold . The lives of the women murdered by Jack the Ripper . Fabulous social history but heart stoppingly bleak . A truly tremendous read

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Talking to myself emoji ;) ' Curtain Call ' - Anthony Quinn. My book of the year to date . Superb.

10. friedgreentomatoes

I am about to start Diarmaid MacCulloch's biography of Thomas Cromwell.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I read "House of Leaves" by Mark Z Danielewski.

It was... very good... and not...

Had two narratives and one was fascinating... and the other was weak.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Michelle Obama - Becoming - much better than I expected ...

friedgreentomatoes likes this.
  13. friedgreentomatoes

I was given this for Christmas and haven't got round to it yet - I will move it up the "to be read" pile!

minnie me likes this.
  14. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Richard Roper ‘ Something to Live For ‘ - really enjoyed it. Bittersweet

15. friedgreentomatoes

I am still working through Thomas Cromwell. It's fascinating but very information heavy, so I can only manage twenty or so pages at a time before I find myself reading the same sentence five times. I am interleaving it with The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman, which is a very enjoyable light read.

16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Sweet Sorrow - abandoned it twice . Self indulgent and oh so so boring ....don’t believe the hype

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@minnie me But the (BBC Sounds) by James Norton was so lovely ! I really enjoyed it. Not one of the literary greats but ….. Btw if anyone can tell me the track that introduced each episode I'd be grateful. I think it was Blur but couldn't remember which .

Now reading" I'm a joke and so are you" by Robin Ince. Deals with how a standups mind works but also covers mental health issues for all of us. I follow him on twitter so was interested to read one of his books. I like him.

18. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

@lindenlea - yes I recall laughing out loud at The Understudy and rated his other books but this is ( for me ) hard work !? I have read some reviews which mirror my experience but others which give 5 stars - each to his own I guess ?

lindenlea likes this.
  19. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

I'm currently reading The Dry by Jane Harper - about a quarter of the way through. It's a bit slow, but interesting enough to keep me reading.

20. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

@BertieBassett2 I thought this was overrated ? Took her latest on holiday .My husband read it and told me not to bother so I left it for the island’s library ...

BertieBassett2 likes this.