1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, Oct 18, 2015.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Scrublands by Chris Hammer . Undemanding ‘garden ‘ read ;)

2. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I've just finished this. I found it a really interesting read.

Startedin82 likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Given up on ‘Twisted’ by Steve Cavanagh . How this author has a following I shall never know ! Absolute rubbish

4. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I'm just about to start The Clockmakers Daughter by Kate Morton.

5. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

I’m half way through “Tombland” the latest Shardlake story by C.J. Samson.
    I’m finding it an absorbing read.

Startedin82 likes this.
  6. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

I love all the Shardlake stories!

Startedin82 likes this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

My Sister is a Serial Killer - quirky and ‘ bite size ‘ by a Nigerian author unknown to me ....Oyinkan Braithwaite

8. FacingWest10

FacingWest10 New commenter

I'm listening to 'The Goldfinch', and re-reading 'Jane Eyre', which is my comfort book :)

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Way of All Flesh by Ambrose Parry - delicious . Highly recommended

A_Million_Posts likes this.
  10. FacingWest10

FacingWest10 New commenter

That looks good! I think I'll add it to my 'to-read' on goodreads

minnie me likes this.
  11. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

I’ve read “Tombland” by C J Samson now, which I loved. I’m on with reading “World without end” by Ken Follet, which I’m quite enjoying. It’s another hefty tome, but an easy read.

Startedin82 likes this.
  12. BertieBassett2

I'm currently reading the fourth 'Strike' book, Lethal White by Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling. Great story so far (I'm just over half way) but you have to get over the silly names of most of the characters!

13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I found this v convoluted and a bit repetitive ( Strike ‘s dodgy leg ) . The first was the best . Sadly I just can’t get over the ludicrous names - does she do it for a bet ?

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  14. BertieBassett2

I suppose @minnie me she does it because she can! I've got 30 pages to go and I so want Strike and Robin to be together! Hope it will be televised.

15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes I hope so too - the TV thing ! Inspired casting for Strike and Robyn I think? They are great to gether too

16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I nearly gave up on the Casual
    Vacancy because I found one of the families very clichéd - the one living in social housing and I was shouting at the page BUT I persevered and really enjoyed it ?
    @BertieBassett2 - do you read Mark Lawson ? I love his stuff ... and I devoured Capital by John Lanchester

17. BertieBassett2

No to both those author suggestions but thanks for the recommendation! I'm now reading the next Book Club choice - The Best of our Spies by Alex Gerlis - quite good, for an Amazon self published book!

18. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

For spy type stuff am a big fan of Charles Cummings ( Thomas Kell is the protagonist ) - some better than others but worth a shot if you are not familiar with his work ....

19. unfoggingblogger

unfoggingblogger Occasional commenter

20. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

‘Don’t Go There’ by Adam Fletcher . A bit of a travelogue in the style of Bill Bryson ? I really enjoyed it / the wit and learnt a lot too . Now onto The Way of All Flesh by Kaite Welsh - first female medical students @ 1892 in Edinburgh. A bit social history / murder mystery . Recommended by someone in my local Waterstones- I think the first time someone has actually engaged with me there about books in over 30 years - :);)