1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

The Political Animal by Jeremy Paxman. Picked it up in an Oxfam bookshop. Fascinating analysis of politicians, their motivations etc, how the House of Commons works - current and historical. If you're interested in UK politics at all I recommend it.

patternandsurface likes this.
  2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The Shepherds Life by James Rebanks. Quite enjoying it .

lrw22 and Startedin82 like this.
  3. Startedin82

It's on my list.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley. Formulaic - as I suspected from the blurb-not great

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

‘Still Me ‘Jojo Moyes - library lend. Shamelessly commercial but I could not put it down !

patternandsurface and lrw22 like this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Salt Path by Raynor Winn - woah !

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Last - Hanna Jameson . Don’t bother

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm on the second book of the Neapolitan series by Elena Ferrante. A big disadvantage of reading on the kindle is that I forget the title of the book and maybe how to spell the author's name too. I'm enjoying it but not as much as the first book that I read when we were in the south of Italy last year. Somehow, it's not quite the same :cool:

Jamvic likes this.
  9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Favourable reviews for these if I recall ?
    Half way through ‘The American Wife ‘ by Curtis Sittenfeld . Love her stuff but not as quite enamoured with this - sticking with it though . Waiting on the the last ( sadly ) Philips Kerr - our early next month.

10. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

I'm nearing the end of 'In Cold Blood' by Truman Capote. It's a chilling account of a real life murder of a family in 1959.

11. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

I found that each consecutive book in this series demanded more reflection from the reader as things that happened to the girls in childhood and adolescence repeatedly impacted on their relationships, life choices and outcomes. However, I would definitely recommend sticking with all 4 books right through to the end as the very final chapter provides a very revealing finale that is only truly appreciated if you’ve gone through the whole journey with the two protagonists.

I’m currently reading, Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence. It’s a book by Swedish-American cosmologist Max Tegmark that discusses Artificial Intelligence and its impact on the future of life on Earth and beyond. It’s good so far.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The American Wife - Curtis Sittenfeld. Over long but I stuck with it . Not as good as Eligible and Sisterhood - loved both of those

13. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

Mr Doubler begins again by Seni Glaister.
    I've only just started it and at first wasn't sure I was keen, but it's improving as I get into it. I don't like to give up on a book, so I'll keep going!
    I've also got The Kashmir shawl on the go, which I am enjoying.

14. patternandsurface

patternandsurface Occasional commenter

A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley.
    When your root for a character but things just get worse and worse. But it was a wonderfully written book.

15. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

For this month's Book Club choice, I am reading Artemis by Andy Weir. Good grief! What an appallingly written book. The idea of living on the moon is interesting but it reads as if the author asked a teenage boy to ghost write it for him! Dreadful main character - a 'sassy' post teen girl, made worse by being in the first person, with sloppy narrative full of buzz words. I'm about a third through and am only persevering with it so I can slate it at our next meeting! Do NOT read it under any circumstances!

16. Startedin82

Just finished Travellers in the Third Reich by Julia Boyd. Brilliant. Weimar Germany and the rise of the Nazis as seen by foreign visitors.

minnie me likes this.
  17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The second book in the Elena Ferrante Neapolitan series. It is gloomy but gripping.

18. Startedin82

This is on my list. A classic - invented the true crime genre. Although doubts have been cast on the total accuracy of the book.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  19. Startedin82

The Cut Out Girl - Bart van Es. Am drawn more and more to non-fiction and memoir these days.

20. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Agree .A totally fabulous read

Startedin82 likes this.