1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, Oct 18, 2015.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah yes this got great press. I also want to read East West Street by Phillipe Sands ......onto the last pages of the new Antony Horowitz - The Sentence of Death - not very demanding and quite entertaining

2. NingenEmpi

NingenEmpi New commenter

I've just finished Murakami's "Killing Commendatore" and still mulling over my review.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

"Behold America" by Sarah Churchwell. I gave someone tickets to go and hear her talk and the kind lady bought me the book. I never was keen on the country and, even allowing for Churchwell's fury at Trump making it pretty one sided, now I know why.

4. CaptainTuttle

CaptainTuttle New commenter

I'm at a loose end... finished The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett after deciding to read all of the discworld series in order which has kept me good since January. My 'to read' pile is higher than my bed but I'm not ready to move on yet.

5. patternandsurface

patternandsurface Occasional commenter

CaptainTuttle the Shepherd's Crown is fantastic! I had a little cry at the end at the thought of the dearest writer Mr Pratchet's passing.
    I just finished The end of the Day by Clare North. It was epic. :D I think Pratchet himself would have liked how it explores the questions we have about death, as well as the inherent beauties of it - it leaves room for other things to grow, not just people or living things, but ideas too.

6. sandrajames3921

sandrajames3921 New commenter

I am in the middle of Mitch Albom's "The Five People You Meet In Heaven" and I'm having trouble keeping the book down. It is about an old maintenance guy at an amusement park who dies while saving a little girl from an accident in the park. He goes to heaven and gets to meet five people who changed the course of his life or because of him whose life was drastically changed. It is such a warm-hearted book and Albom has created magic just like he did in "Tuesdays with Morris". Do read it guys if you get a chance!

7. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Just re-reading 84, Charing Cross Road and The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street. Such charming books, but again, '84' made me cry! I'm going to recommend it for my Book Club - especially as we've had a fair number of 'heavy-going' books lately.

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

A library copy of ' Another Fine Mess ' by Tim Moore. He is a very witty travel writer and I loved, LOVED LOVED his ' I Think You're Awful ' ( but I Like You ) which focuses on Britain though thoroughly enjoyed also his tales which involve challenging cycling tours ( I am so not a cyclist ! ) and a pilgrimage with a donkey (in the spirit of Santiago da Compostella) . Really informative and laugh out loud funny. This is about his travelling across the USA in a Ford Model T .

Startedin82 likes this.
  9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin

10. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

I've just finished The Death of the Fronsac by former Observer journalist Neil Ascherson. Quite an achievement to write your first novel aged 86! It's set amongst the Polish forces in Scotland in World War 2. I enjoyed it - not exactly a page turner but it has stayed with me.

11. Startedin82

Frost on my Moustache is my favourite

minnie me likes this.
  12. Startedin82

Longitude - Dava Sobel. Interesting and a quick read.

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Just about to start "The Age of Innocence" by Edith Wharton

14. Startedin82

How to be right by James O'Brien. A liberal like myself so I'm happy reading it!

15. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

My brother bought me a very nice edition of The Picture of Dorian Gray which I finally started yesterday.

16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think this was a bit of a cult book at one time ?

I think I should start a thread books I have given up on .... most recently 'The Poison Bed 'and very nearly ' Death Notice ' - shucks ..

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Age of Innocence is a very enjoyable rea. Not at all what I expected.

18. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

84 Charing Cross Road was warmly received by my Book Club and I think we all appreciated a non-taxing read! I've just started The Angels of Lovely Lane by Nadine Dorris and a nice easy read it is too!

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've been on a similar quest... working my way through all the pratchetts in hardcover.

20. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Middle England - Jonathan Coe . Loving it.