1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, Oct 18, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

OK, find it a bit sad that the last post in Book club was 7 days ago... time for me to step up and do my bit!

So I just finished reading Periodic Tales by Hugh Aldersley-Williams

Amazon link

[​IMG]

So now I'm pondering which of my fiction to delve into ... most likely The Long Mars by Stephen Baxter and the late, great Terry Pratchett.

2. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

I am reading Little Girl in the Radiator by Martin Slevin - moving and funny at the same time.

lanokia likes this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Does ths thread not already exist? I'm sure I posted on it a while back.

Anyway, I am cuurently not reading anything, having whizzed through Station Eleven (post-apocalypse, no zombies) all in a oner today.

Not sure what's next - open to suggestions?

lanokia likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You know, it probably does already exist... just that no-one had posted here for a week so...

Started The Long Mars. Not bad so far.

5. Flere-Imsaho

lanokia likes this.
  6. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

A Little Life

lanokia likes this.
  7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Well done Lanokia.

I'm reading The Gangster We Are All Looking For by Le Thi Diem Thuy. It's been our bookshelves for years and I've only just got around to reading it. I think I bought it for quid from The Works around 10 or so years ago. It's beautiful. I think it might be semi-autobiographical but can't say for sure. It's a first-person narrative about a young girl's experiences in moving from Vietnam to the States as a refugee in the 1970s. Poetic and non-linear in structure, it feels like a sequence of half-remembered dreams and vividly remembered experiences. Quite surreal but utterly beguiling.

lunarita and lanokia like this.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

Wolf Hall. Been meaning to read it for a long time and only just got around to it. I'm finding it quite tense, despite knowing what happens!

InkyP and lanokia like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well I completed The Long Mars.

My problems with it are the same as my problems with the earlier two books in the series. It meanders a bit, lacks focus and I can't really see what it is for. The characters seem to mainly exist to experience things in the world created and don't seem very pro-active. On the other hand the worlds created are great, each a little story in themselves, and the impact of events on humanity as we change and adapt are logical and not too fantastical.

So I'll read the 4th one eventually.

Now for Vanished Kingdoms by Norman Davies. A history of half forgotten Europe.

10. Flere-Imsaho

That seems a common complaint. I've read a few similar reviews and been put off the series.

lanokia likes this.
  11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Struggling with the new Robert Galbraith - bit boring ....all those army references and nicknames .... just not doing it for me. Loved ' The Pie at Night ' by Stuart Maconie. Some great one liners in a very bleak crime novel by Tom Callaghan called ' The Killing Winter ' . Gave up on the latest William Boyd. Very disappointed because I was / am a huge fan.

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have just finished The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I have used my kindle to reread several of the classics from my childhood. They are often cheap or free.

I am now starting The Colonel's Daughter by Rose Tremain. It is one of her old ones but I hadn't read it and I really enjoy her writing.

I hadn't seen that there was a new Robert Galbraith book out. I might try it. I like the character of Cormoran Strike.

13. Memphismojo

Memphismojo Established commenter

Just finished reading Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro. Well worth reading.

rouxx likes this.
  14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've just finished Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. I was originally put off reading it by a bad review (possibly on here o_O) but I thought it was gripping.

rouxx and bombaysapphire like this.
  15. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I like Ishiguro books a lot. I'm currently reading 'A Gentleman of Fortune' by Anna Dean - crime set in 1806 with a female investigator, tricky with all the social expectations of the age. Very enjoyable.

16. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Ah, reading a n the holidays. Love it.
    The kindle is great, I've just read Anne of Green Gables and cried!
    Ive read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest again, I just love the court scenes! I've actually read that court scene several times.
    Lanokia, if you liked periodic tales, try Uncle Tungsten by Oliver Sachs ( he of Sleepers and the man who thought his Wife was a hat fame.) read it years ago, but remember living it.

17. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Loving, not living.

18. thedjg

thedjg New commenter

The Road to Little Dribbling, Bryson's update Small Island. Funny in places, his writing is very good and he is more misanthropic than ever. Well worth a read.
    Waiting in line, the fifth book in Cornwell's Last Kingdom series, much better than the TV series which has pulle dthe thread of the story apart.
    Then Conn Iggulden's third book in his War of The Roses series.

The Long ... stories, I would agree with vies abobe, rambling and not particuarly satisfying.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well while reading Vanished Kingdoms I got a bit sidetracked and ended up reading volume 6 of Neil Gaiman's Sandman from the 1990s. Excellent graphic novel series and well worth picking up if it appeals to you.

Featuring the French Revolution, Orpheus, Emperor Norton of the USA and Marco Polo plus Dream of the Endless. Love Gaiman's writing, can't praise this highly enough.

silverfell85 likes this.
  20. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Ah, I loved this. I love a good dystopia. The only other book I've tried of his was the one about the butler - Remains Of The Day, which is is very highly regarded but which bored me senseless.

Currently reading Mr Mercedes by Stephen King. He's a guilty pleasure of mine and whilst when he's good, he's great; he can also have off-books. This is okay...I'm only 80 pages in though. A couple of rather trite passages have irritated me a bit but it's fine for a simple enough yarn.