1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by BadBunny, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Neither the book nor the series are for me. Some readers/viewers out there must like it but I gave up and had an early night.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Everything I Never Told You - Celeste Ng . Stunning début novel .

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Philip Kerr - The Lady from Zagreb - not vintage Kerr but a class act nevertheless

4. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

The House of Mr Biswas by V. S. Naipaul. It's quite dense and reminds me of a Dickens novel. I was reluctant to make a start on it in term time, but now I'm hooked.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Mr Loverman by Bernadine Evaristo - about an elderly, unhappily married West Indian man who has had a secret gay lover since his teens. Recommend highly.

Harbour Street by Anne Cleeve - this author is always very readable, a page turner.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Mr Loverman has been on my list for ages . Glad you rated it .

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Walking Away - Simon Armitage (and listened to extracts on Book of the Week on Radio 4 - he is reading ) . It is so, so, good .... I don't want it to end. (Mind you loved Walking Home too)

8. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Michael Gardiner - Escalator

very short stories

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Michael Arditti - 'Widows and Orphans ' - not finished it but a thoroughly enjoyable read so far.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The Many Conditions of Love by Farahad Zama. A good story with several threads set around a marriage bureau in India.

11. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

MR. COLLINS was not a sensible man, and the deficiency of nature had been but little assisted by education or society; the greatest part of his life having been spent under the guidance of an illiterate and miserly father; and though he belonged to one of the universities, he had merely kept the necessary terms, without forming at it any useful acquaintance.

I came across quotable page from P & P (in 1001 Books to Read) yesterday, asking me what I am not getting out of Education and Society.

12. princess77

princess77 New commenter

I recently read I Let You Go by Claire Mackintosh. I thought it was brilliant and I gasped out loud at the end of part 1.

Books for the remainder of the summer break include: The Buried Giant (Kazuo Ishiguro), A God in Ruins (Kate Atkinson) and The Sunrise (Victoria Hislop).

emerald52 likes this.
  13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Must say that I thought that ' I Let You Go ' was dreadful. Loved the early Kate Atkinson stuff but struggled with more recent material. Only read The Island ( ? ) by Victoria Hislop and thought it was poor. Just finished ' The Year of the Runaways ' - I usually steer clear of Man Booker nominations ( long listed ) but I thought this was superb.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have much enjoyed A suitable boy so shall look out for this one! Thanks for this.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's not quite in the same league as A Suitable Boy, Theo.

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I've bow read the blurb on Amazon! But same environment which is pleasingly exotic for me. :)

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

17. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'm on a bit of a Joe Abercrombie binge atm. Looking for similar recommendations?

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

I'm loving this, an excellent read.

Best wishes

19. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I suspect I am the only person in the world who thought the TGOTT was completely overated, repetitive and melodramatic !

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, Minnie, my sister heartily agrees with you!

[​IMG]

Best wishes