1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by BadBunny, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Nimstar

Nimstar New commenter

Twenty Three Tales by Tolstoy - inspired by yesterday's Radio 4 War and Peace marathon!

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

' The Devil in the Marshalsea ' by Antonia Hodges. Murder / mystery set in 1727 in a gaol. Atmospheric and well written. Did not see the twist coming either. Nearly finished ' Research' by Philip Kerr. No where near the standard of his Bernie Gunther novels which in my opinion are über outstanding ( can I write this ?- ha ! ) . His stand alone work maybe to fulfil contractual obligations ?

3. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Bring Up The Bodies by Hilary Mantel. I'm torn between not wanting to put it down and not wanting it to finish it.

I see Wolf Hall is on the telly soon. I'm looking forward to it but I don't see how it can get inside Thomas Cromwell's head the way the book does.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I thought Wolf Hall was ok but not an easy read. Nearly got Bring Up The Bodies from the library but ...... didn't.

5. Underachiever

Mantel's style does take a bit of getting used to. Occasionally I've had to re-read a sentence to work out exactly which character she is referring to, but you have to remember that any non-specific 'he' is Cromwell.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Missing and the Dead - Stuart Macbride. Over the top and undemanding with some decent one liners.

7. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Lucky dip - from Belbin (1993) Team Roles at Work - chapter 6 : Interpersonal chemistry in the workplace (p65)

Monitor Evaluator relationships - One major consideration, underlying all others, is that Monitor Evaluators are generally low-profile. They need to be discovered if they are to contribute as fully as they are able and they need support from action people at all levels.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have to admit that I abandoned Wolf Hall . . . I decided a year ago that I was too old, have not got enough reading time left to me to fritter it away on things I am not enjoying.

[​IMG]

So since then I have strated giving up on books that i don't like. And this was one of them.

I started a week ago (on a 5-hour journey to Spain. Yes, five. Thank you British Airways) reading the first of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Warrior series. Thought it was so bloodthirsty I wouldn't like it, but I do and am now on the second one. Only another five to go . . .

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. Melodramatic ending. Didn't like any of the characters. The story telling by the three women did not work for me. I finished it but not a quality read.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

Normal Saturday routine. Sit down after lunch. Start reading the weekend papers. Download and buy books reviewed.

My Kindle needs a warning button. :-(

But I am much enjoying this autobiography of a Pakistani Muslim girl from Liverpool who emigrates to Canada with her family and is exposed to playmates who have never seen a Muslim before.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm now reading Wolf Hall along with watching the TV series but I still keep Googling to check up on facts. It's very confusing the way it flips backwards and forwards in time but I'm persevering.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck with that InkyP. I gave up. . . on both . . .

[​IMG]

Best wishes

13. Underachiever

InkyP. The TV series is my treat of the week, but it narrows down the novels to follow a single thread. I found the best approach to reading was to just go with the flow and let the prose carry me along. Twice, I think, I stopped to research the historical facts and I did occasionally have to re-read sentences to check who was being referred to, but I found it really rewarding - so much so that I've been to the National Portrait Gallery to have a look at the Tudors 'in person'. The only novel I've ever read that gets inside a character's psyche as successfully as Wolf Hall is The Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar.

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm enjoying the read, it gets easier to follow the more you get into it. The main problem for me with the TV series is that the characters aren't introduced but the book is helping me sort out who is who. I'd now like to know more about Mary Boleyn and want to read 'The Other Boleyn Girl'.

15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

'The Good Italian ' and 'The Spring of Kaspar Meier ' - enjoyed these enormously.

16. Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Warrior series. Excellent choice Theo

I love this series so much .. feel sad that Uhtred is now in his fifties and the next book may see his demise .... Cornwell brings his characters to life so brilliantly and after several books Uhtred feels like a family member.

The series is also being made into a TV series www.carnivalfilms.co.uk/.../filming-begins-last-kingdom

Enjoy!!

17. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

Little Dorrit. Dickens was superb, so fluent, so engaging even when little is happening. A genius.

18. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

'Astonish Me ' - quality read from Maggie Shipstead. 'Falling ' by Emma Kavanagh - truly dreadful.

19. Underachiever

The Rotters' Club by Jonathan Coe. Loving it

20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Read that last year underachiever and quite enjoyed it but not as much as you seem to be. Our book group has just read Madame Bovary. It was an easier read than i expected but it did drag on towards the end. I wanted to know what would happen to her but couldn't be bothered with the other characters in her town although the book was as much about life in a French country town as it was about the heroine.

I've now returned to the book of short stories by John Burnside I had got from the library while i was waiting for my copy of M Bovary. It''s wonderful. Characters I relate to and written in a crisp sharp style. Feel very refreshed after the spending so much time with the crazy Emma.