1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by BadBunny, Apr 1, 2008.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Up to Part Three of ' The Paying Guests ' -sensational !

2. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I am in the middle of 'I am Pilgrim' by Terry Hayes. As it says in the blurb, 'The only thriller you need to read this year.' It is 892 pages long and really gripping. Modern terrorist type of tale with lots of little stories woven in. I would really recommend it!

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

This has also been recommended by a friend. Managed to pick up a copy on the local charity shop. It is my next read. I have given up on ' The Farm ' by Tom Rob Smith. My candidate for one of the worst books I have not finished reading in my life .

4. princess77

princess77 New commenter

Just finished reading Haruki Murakami's 1Q84.Another brilliant book, I always look forward to his new releases.I will be reading Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki next.

I am planning to read The Fault in Our Stars over half term as the film is out soon. But I also have a growing pile of books waiting to be read including: Kate Atkinson's Life After Life, Hilary Mantel's The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher, Sue Townsend's The Woman who went to Bed for a Year, Ian McEwan The Children Act... Should keep me busy until half way through 2015!

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The new John Grisham. I have learnt a lot about mining but three quarters of the way through finding it all a bit tedious. Change of direction for him in some ways and to be fair the reviews did allude to this.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am a great JG fan.

With this book, and for the first time ever, I gave up.

I gave up on a John Grisham book!

Hated it.

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes - poor. Not long the description of Christmas in the town which goes on FOREVER and reminds me of something which a 16 year old would write ? Did JG definitely pen this ? !

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Didn't even get that far.

I obviously did the right thing in giving up! [​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

9. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

I'm reading Mountains of the Mind by Robert Macfarlane. It's one of those books I've always vaguely meant to read but never quite got round to it. I'm so glad I have; it's a real little gem, beautifully written.

10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Bought the latest Michael Connolly ( The Burning Room ) who usually does not disappoint but I have struggled with this and may not get to the end . If I did not know any better I would say he dictated it over the phone to a ghost writer !

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

After my bad experience with Grisham, I shall now avoid that M Connolly one, so thanks for the tip Minnie.

[​IMG]

I'm at the moment in Needing-An-Easy-Read-Mode, and have dragged out and started reading for the umpteenth time a . . . Georgette Heyer Regency romance!

[​IMG]

Nothing like G.H. It's the reading equivalent of hot chocolate in your dressing gown!

Best wishes

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Leaving Berlin by Joseph Kanon . This author is new to me. Impressive - although you need to concentrate through the intrigue and 'who is working for whom 'scenarios . Bit of a twist at the end which I did not see coming. I shall source again.

13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Secret Place by Tana French. Thought I would give this a go as it has been recommended , easy to pick up at the library and looked like a distracting 'whodunnit ' . Compared to ' The Secret History ' - I really don't think so ! Dull, repetitive, clichéd and overlong . Scanned large bits of it. Had read ' Broken Harbour ' by this writer and did not rate either- should learn to trust my instincts.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I don't know why I'm posting this, doubt anyone else is reading it - not even our own bookworm Minnie Me!

La saga de los malditos by Chufo Llorens

It's in Spanish, but if you ever see it in English, have a go.

The Saga of the Cursed is one translation of the title. It's two interwoven tales of Jewish teenagers in Spain in 1373 (before the big 1380 clamp down) and in Berlin in 1931.

Really enjoyable, and as it's over 1,000 pages, loads of enjoyment ahead.

Best wishes

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've just read The Glass Room by Simon Mawer and enjoyed it. Have also just discovered Donna Leon and Henning Mankel who have got me through some v long plane journeys.

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just looked and discovered a score of Donna Leon books on my virtual bookshelf.

Which should I begin with, Nutella?

Best wishes

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Dunno, Theo. I've only read 2. I did enjoy Death at La Fenice though.

And Best Wishes to you too!

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you!

19. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

' The Iceberg' - Marion Coutts. Not an easy read as the memoir deals with the death of her husband from a brain tumour but it is intense, powerful and unique.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I read a couple of Anne Cleeves novels which were on offer on Kindle and enjoyed them. I am now working my way through several more. She has an easy to read style but keeps the reader guessing as to 'whodunnit'.