1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by BadBunny, Apr 1, 2008.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes you may be right. On reflection they were all poisonous. For me, I suspect , it was the plotting. Expected better and can't agree with the majority of reviews. Anyhow now onto ' A Colder War ' -Charles Cummings ( Trinity Six and A a Foreign Country were excellent )

2. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Enjoyed 'American Gods'. I've since read 'Juliet, Naked' by Nick Hornby - light and reasonably funny and I'm half way through TFIOS - really disappointed. I hate the tone of the book. The only good thing about it is that it's an easy read and I'll probably finish it this evening when the World Cup's on. I must remember not to take reading recommendations from yr8 girls!

3. Just finished The Secret History after seeing it recommended on here. It's a really amazing story, totally worth the £1.11 I paid for it! Very, very highly recommended! The Goldfinch next...

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I've just started Flesh Wounds by Christopher Brookmeyer. It is the second books in his Jasmine Sharp series. I still miss Jack Parlablane but he is such an entertaining writer.

I liked The Silkworm. I found the plot interesting and I am developing a real fondness for Cormoran Strike.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm half way through now. I agree that most of the characters are unlikeable but I'm gripped by the story.

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Good for you.I also read ' Flesh Wounds ' - some decent one liners but not as impressive as the last one ( Where the Bodies are Buried ? ) . Likewise ended up scanning a fair bit of the new Michael Robotham. Usually a dependable read but this was just poor - blimey maybe it 's me ? ! Best of my latest reads was the memoir by Henry Marsh - Do No Harm - about neurosurgery. I am in awe of his skill and the bravery of his patients was really humbling. A life affirming autobiography.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Golly, these sound rather bloodthirsty! Is this calm summer reading?

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah Theo ..... as you can see by my posts I don't restrict my reading to summer. Not working full time Is a real enabler. In fact I am so to speak a 'serial reader ' - ha ! Enjoy !

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I realise that you are a full-year reader! But as it's summertime and many TESsers are looking for relaxation . . .

[​IMG]

Best wishes

11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think possibly summer reading i.e.holiday stuff could be defined by many people as anything they are drawn to / stockpiled / saved ? Relaxing with a book takes many forms don't you think? Anyhow whatever this involves I hope all colleagues enjoy some cracking reads whatever they are doing / wherever they are !

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

' The Aftermath ' by Rhidian Brook . Easy, engrossing read. Would make a cracking film.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just read an engrossing book that is rather annoying as you don't really know what exactly happened and who did it . . .

But it was engrossing . . . so i guess that this is good!

[​IMG]

Best wishes

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I GIVE UP!

4 times the picture showed and 4 times it got lost when I posted!

Summer House with Swimming Pool

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

At last! :)

17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ahhhh. Interesting . I read ' The Dinner ' - not bad at all. May well give this a go too.

Anyone read ' The Lemon Grove ' ? Helen Walsh . My book of the summer to date.

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

On my list now!

Best wishes

19. Just finished the latest Montalbano Angelica's Smile- superb!

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I like Montalbano, so that's a good tip, thanks.

Have just finished the Dinner - see above.

Excellent, really makes you think. Not just because you have to fill the gaps (what actually happened to Beau/Faso?), but also because it challenges your moral values.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week