1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by BadBunny, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Just finished re-reading 'The Fat Ladies Club' as I'm heavily pregnant!

Tonight I will be starting an old favourite: Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings. Bliss...

2. Now getting on well with Lord Jim, having read a summary of the plot in Margaret Drabble's Companion to Eng Lit. I'm not exactly whizzing along but at least I can understand what's happening in the story.

3. Firewall by Henning Mankell, a Swedish Ian Rankin! Got loads of book at the local Christian Aid book sale. Sadly no mid-term in Scotland, roll on 27th June! 5 weeks to go and a school inspection week after next! Looking forward to 7 weeks of no stress and lots of reading.

4. Am coming to the end of The Last Testament, a thriler with Biblical undertones. Loving it!

Have got Darkmans to start but the sheer size of it is daunting!

5. eha

eha

Just finished John Grisham's "The Innocent Man". Very well written, but DEPRESSING! Miscarriages of justice in the American legal system-- tragedy and waste. Terrible sense of futility and doom, even though two of the men were released and vindicated. Only read if you're feeling very upbeat--- or if you're a law student.

6. I've just finished 'A Quiet Belief in Angels' - pretty amazing!!! Loved it, and couldn't put it down!

7. Barbara Naden - Dance with Death. First of hers I've read and just finished. Very impressed. Have to wait 'til Tuesday to get some more from the library. Arrgh I hate that!

8. "An Utterly Impartial History of Britain - Or 2000 Years of Upper Class Idiots in Charge" by John O'Farrell - gently amusing and informative. O'Farrell is one of the few genuinely witty people, I love his "Things Can Only Get Better". He reminds me of an English Bill Bryson.

9. Born Again Not To Struggle Again - Mabel McCallum

10. Just finished The Book Thief - which I enjoyed - and The Rose of Sebastopol, which I was surprised I liked.
    So now I've started The Star of Kazan (Eva Ibbotson) as I need to level it for Guided Reading. It's great though.
    I love all the reading in holidays!

11. I am reading Killed By A Passing Snowflake' by T,C Mulvihill, absolutely fantastic, completely different to anything I've ever read before

12. The Left Behind series. I'm on the 6th book of 12 and can't put them down!

13. Reading some non fiction - The Story of Leo Africanus - narrative history so very easy on my poor brain x

14. I've just finished "What was lost" by Catherine O'Flynn. It's brilliant. I started it this morning and have just finished it now - couldn't put it down.

15. Call the midwife - Jennifer Worth. - Autobiographival account of midwifery in 1950s London. Makes you realise how much things have changed in a realtively short period of time.
    Now forcing myself to finish Author Author by David Lodge, but can't seem to get into it.

16. bigbosslady

bigbosslady New commenter

the pillars of the earth - really good

17. readaholic

readaholic New commenter

'The Secret Lives of Pippa Lee' by Rebecca Miller - very good so far.

18. Pies and Prejudice-Stuart Maconie. Very amusing take on life 'up north'.

19. Mexicola

Mexicola New commenter

I'm halfway through The Kite Runner (looking forward to getting stuck in to A Thousand Splendid Suns)and almost at the end of The Book Thief. I'm a sucker for the 3 for 2 offers at Waterstone's - I really ought to read the books I've got instead of buying more! And now they've introduced a points card . . . oh Lord . . .

20. trickyricky83

trickyricky83 New commenter

The Templar by Paul Doherty - it's ok. It's a bit slow to start but getting better now.

Just finished reading The Emperor series by Conn Iggulden. I though they were excellent. If you like you historical fiction or the books about the Ancient Romans then I'd recommend them!