1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by BadBunny, Apr 1, 2008.

1. I am debating whether or not to try and get back into On the Road - which I was enjoying and Atonement - which I absolutely hated. I've just finished Marian Keyes new one, which I'm not sure about. And am most of the way through Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder which I'm really enjoying. Next is Don Quixote, no idea why but it was £2 so I thought I'd try it. Need to finish Crime and Punishment and Anna Karenina as well.

2. After the Other Boleyn Girl, have started The Boleyn Inheritance by the same author. Also got The Book of Israel by Jeremy Gavron on the go which I am really enjoying.

3. Just finished The Book Thief, loved it, one of those rare books that you just don't want to end.

Now reading Doris Lessing's The Golden Notebook, only 90 odd pages into it and frankly wondering if it is worth persevering? yes or no?

4. valleygirl do persevere with On the Road. It is a great book, although best read in one sitting. I just happened to be watching a DVD of the comedy series The Book Club last night and it was their chosen book!

5. Dandelion Soup - Excellent.

Loved The Book Thief - must buy another copy, I keep giving mine away. I have bought 4 now!

6. Just finished two books in tandem, both really good reads. One which I'm teaching tomorrow is The Weather in the Streets by Rosamond Lehmann, even better on rereading, and the other, David Mitchell's Black Swan Green, which is about adolesence and very moving.

Recommended.

7. since post 81-
    finish Goose Girl- recommend, then read another of her books-Princess Academy.Nice easy reads. Just read Sister of My Heart (Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni- wrote Mistress Of Spices and a couple of others I have read.)Wondering what to read next... have plenty on the shelves.

8. I've just finished a book which I thoroughly enjoyed which isn't on general release - which is a real shame. It's titled 'Secrets Only Sleep' by Barbara Fagan Speake (a colleague of my OH) and she's had it published via a small publisher.

It was a real page-turner! As she says, it is definitely a crime novel which is more of a 'why-he-did-it' rather than an out and out 'whodunnit'. I only hope it eventually gets picked up by a major publisher but after searching the net, I've only found it available via 2 used booksellers at over £15 each.

I'm not usually easily pleased by crime novels but I
    enjoyed this one and would definitely recommend it.

9. grammarlady

grammarlady Occasional commenter

Just finished Death of a Gentle Lady by M.C. Beaton. Love that Hamish Macbeth!

10. Have one more chapter to read of Maria Edgeworth's 'Belinda' before I go to bed. :)

11. When I first joined this forum there was a thread about books that pile up unread by the beside. Now, having nothing else to read, I've just picked up one of these, Joseph Conrad's Lord Jim. This should keep me going until the Hay-on-Wye bookfest which I go to in ten days time!

12. Now finished The Book of Israel and started Engleby by Sebastian Faulks. Know it has had mixed reviews on here but so far so good.

13. Loved Engleby.

Am reading: The Beginning of Spring - Penelope Fitzgerald.

14. Have just finished re-reading 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night' - Absolutely Hilarious.

Am about to pick up 'The Phantom of the Opera'. Absolutely adore the stage show and so my Husband bought me the book for our first anniversary 'paper'!

Hope it is worth the read!

15. HSH

HSH

The Elements of Lore Dr H Hope and Spooks Apprentice Jospeh Delaney.
    Both worth a look.
    www.thebooksoflore.co.uk
    serach amazon for spook.

16. Life of Pi

I've always wanted to buy it since it got published and I finally got it!
    It's simply beautiful.

17. I agree jushua.

I am reading The Other Boleyn Girl. It's okay. Not my usual thing but I am quite enjoying it in a long skirts kind of a girlie way!

18. I'm really struggling with Lord Jim. Apparently Conrad decided to disregard chronological order and all conventions of form. Anyone ever tried it?

19. provincial Daughter, quite good but not riveting.

20. 'The Manor and the Estate' by Isaac Bashevis Singer. It's a real epic about life in 19th century Poland. I'm loving it and don't want it to end.