1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by BadBunny, Apr 1, 2008.

1. bed

bed New commenter

Re-reading Bill Bryson's Short History of Neary Everything - great stuff but a bit taxing late at night and giving me dreams about hordes of bacteria taking over the world!!

Have a crappy murder and a Lindsey Davis on the bedside table for a bit of lightness.

2. Just started The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas, bought for me by my daughter. I seem to remember some posts about it when I'd just started on the site? Anyway it's very good so far.

3. an income support application for. it's a bit dry, repititious and the form seems to be more important than the content; i can't imagine why.

4. jools30

jools30 New commenter

Am reading On Chesil Beach and enjoying it very much. Recently read the boy in the striped pyjamas and loved it very much in a it made me cry lots kind of way. Want to read the new Joanne Harris The Lollipop Shoes next, the sequel to Chocolat which I loved loads.

5. I'm reading The Witch of Portabello by Paulo Coelo. It's very good - I can recommend it so far.

6. I'm reading and enjoying'Mary Swann' by Carol Shields. It's told from the perspectives of people who knew, or now have an interest in, a dead poet (Mary Swann). Other Carol Shields books I've enjoyed are The Stone Diaries/Larry's Party/Unless - can't remember any others at the moment.

7. I picked up 'The Witch of Portobello' yesterday as well as Coelho's 'Like the Flowing River' and also Gregory Maguire's 'Wicked' (having seen the show in February half-term) and its sequel 'Son of a Witch'.

I have started with 'Like the Flowing River', which i think i have read already perhaps round a friend's house actually.

8. Just finished "Hound of the Baskervilles" - again - and am half way through "Then we Came to the End" by Joshua Ferris which started off ok but has dragged in the middle - hence my detour into Conan Doyle territory.

9. Still on Monte Cristo. Now on chapter 93 (out of 117) and feeling glad that I've stuck with it. Especially now that a lot of loose bits of the plot are starting to come together, and it's all falling into place.

10. S&B, is Monte Cristo worth a read? It's one that's on my list of possibles!

I'm on several at the moment (I can never bear to read one book at a time!):
    Die Trying (Lee Child)
    Young Bloods (Simon Scarrow)
    American Gods (Neil Gaiman)

I'm also dipping in and out of the Chronicles of Narnia when the mood takes me!

11. 'speak' by Laurie Halse Anderson...am enjoying it.

12. WK, it's worth it allright. It may not seem so about a third of the way in, but it is really a case of perseverence paying off. And, as the Penguin Classics edition runs to 1243 pages (not including footnotes), that's a lot of perseverence!!

13. The Book Thief - I'm coming to it a year late but I am uttrely astounded by it, achingly beautiful, funny and touching at the same time. In fact I'm off to read it again!!

14. Well Calm but sleepless I too am a big Carol Shields fan and Unless is one of my favourite ever books. I am now going to look for Mary Swan for my next read. Thanks.

15. Leylaleyla - I also have The Republic of Love on my bedside cabinet - plan to start that when I've finished Mary Swann - Have you read it? I loved 'Unless' - found it extremely moving.

16. Will also add The Republic of Love to my list. Someone borrowed Unless and she has left my school without giving it back. Must have had the same effect on her!

17. 'Gig' Simon Armitage - fabulous so far (see other post)

18. The Other Boleyn Girl - I am really loving it even though my level of history knowledge is poor (think reading Horrible Histories to learn about British History and that's where I am!).

It is incredibly well written and you can almost feel the tension. There's a sort of feeling of foreboding as you read it. Will post more on a new thread when i've finished it.

19. That's an excellent read Rachel, I loved it too. It is also brilliantly researched.

20. just finished The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton and throroughky enjoyed it - though perhaps not the ending I was hoping for!

I have found things 'tiresome' and 'amusing' as a result tho (I am easily influenced into using words from books I have just read!)