1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by BadBunny, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Just finished Miracle at Speedy Motors, wonderful as ever. Started Atonement, about 10 chapters in, finding it very absorbing.

2. I'm on The Handmaid's Tale right now, only just started and then the others with book marks already in to get finished anon, are On The Road by Jack Kerouac, Bruce Chatwin's The Songlines, The Glass Menagerie, The Da Vinci Code (but think that can wait), Frenchman's Creek, the last two Unfortunate Events books and Lord knows what else!!!

3. Nickster: if you enjoy Handmaid's Tale, try: Blind Assassin, Alias Grace (a little weird to start with but perservere with it!), The Robber Bride or Moral Disorder.

Think I need to restart my 'must buy before the year's out' book list again!

4. princess77

princess77 New commenter

I am coming to the end of 'A Spot of Bother' by Mark Haddon (he of the Curiou Incident of the Dog in the Night-time fame). It's very funny and thought-provoking about life in general.

5. I'm just about to finish Adam Thorpe and am really looking forward to starting a biography of Flora Thompson by Christine Bloxham who is coming to talk about it soon.

A suggestion for nicksterboy100 about On the Road. Try reading it, as he was suppsed to have written it, straight through just stopping occasionally for a cup of coffee. It took me a day but was a good reading experience and I really got a feel for the book.

6. On the Road ... great book, found the nihilism in the writing veyr effective. Been to the US and know how dull it can seem being on an endless road!

7. At the mo: Teacher's Dead by Benjamin Zephaniah, as am on holiday and have read all the books I brought. My son brought that one, it's a bit weird, but readable.

Princess77, one of the books Ihave just finished is A Spot of Bother. I really enjoyed it, and am now trying to cast the film. Jude Law for Jamie? What do you reckon?

8. Duma Key by Stephen King is pretty good. Always a good author to return to after something more heavy. I read the time traveller's wife afew years ago and thought it was ace. Never managed to crack on the road though. Have got a book called 'Then we came to the end' by Joshua Ferris lined up next, is it any good if anyone's read it?

9. Blue9 I read it a couple of weeks ago, didn't make me smile, despite the fact it was supposed to be funny and found I really couldn't care about what was going to happen to the characters. some parts so very cliched and predictable, however, as with all literature, that is my opinion, give it a go, you might love it.

10. Just reaching the end of Buddha Da by Anne Donovan. Took a while to get into the Glaswegian dialect, but once I did I've found it quite a quick read, although not the most enjoyable book I've read recently.

11. Just finished "THe Lizard Cage" - brilliant. It's about a political prisoner in Burma. Not as heavy or depressing as it sounds; I was enthralled by it and would really recommend it.

12. Just finished two great books, one fiction and one NF.

Water for Elephants - brilliant historical fiction based in depression era USA, circus.

The Year of Living Biblically - about a guy (non-religious) trying to live a whole year following all the obscure rules in the bible - no mixed cloth etc. Fab!

13. I have just finished "A thousand Splendid Suns", I loved it. And I am now slogging my way through Wicked, such hard work and really dissapointed with it as I love the theatre show, but I guess I should have know!!

14. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I'm reading Psychodynamic Counselling in A Nutshell - which I know sounds as dull as ditchwater, but is very interesting!

Also, am reading a book that one of my ex-students wrote about his life (he's 83 - I work in adult ed!) - and it really is very interesting!

15. Obxer7, sorry to say that Wicked the book is nowhere near the musical. Completely and utterly different I'm afraid. Hardly anything is left.

16. Dave Gorman - America Unchained.
    Loving it. Excellent writer and very funny without trying to be.

17. Just finished "The Book Thief" - abolutely brilliant. The first time in as long as I can remember that a book made me cry.

18. have just finished On Chisel Beach by Ian Mcewan, Book Thief is next but its back to work tomorrow after Easter break so it might be August before its finished.

19. Having just read "The Kite Runner" and "Slam" (Nick Hornby's latest) in the last couple of days (had a couple of long train journeys!)I have just started "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult.

20. I'm reading Mister Pip at the moment and have At the end of the world we learn to dance to read at some point in the holidays too. Have also read A Golden Age (can't remember who its by but it's brilliant - set during the Bangladesh war for independance) and One More Day. Have a whole pile of new books to read over the next two weeks. Have been looking forward to reading during the holidays!