1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by BadBunny, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Reading 'Digging to America' and rereading Michael Palin's diaries. I love the holidays!

2. I'm reading "The Miracle at Speedy Motors" which is number 9, I think, in the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. Fantastic.

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

The Ghost Map, which is brilliant!
    Just finished Notes from an Exhibition, which is thought was brilliant but disappointed me in the end.

4. I have just started My Swordhand is Singing by Marcus Sedgwick. Too early to say how good it is.

5. Nearly finished 'Persuasion' and am considering 'Stormbreaker' after that, although am going to best friend's tomorrow so may nick something off her bookshelves.

6. I'm slogging away with the Count of Monte Cristo. It's a bit plodding and I have no idea how some of the plot twists will be resolved, or even why they're there in the first place as they just make things even more complicated! But I'm enjoying it enough to want to keep going...

7. I have just started 'Random Acts of Heroic Love' think it's gonna be good although I haven't got far yet.

8. The Shakespeare Secret

9. Fallen Skies - Phillippa Gregory

10. The Dear Green Place - Archie Hind

11. The Book Thief, like loads of other people apparently! My book group meets on Sunday, so I need to get it finished. After a strange start, I'm really enjoying it.

12. The Rules of Perspective by Adam Thorpe. A story about Art set in the dying days of Nazi Germany. I'm not sure what to make of it. Not a patch on Ulverton.

13. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Ooh, I loved Fallen Skies, but I got a bit fed up reading about every single meal she ate....

Hated the Shakespeare Secret, it was stupid.

Am in the middle of the Miracle at Speedy Motors - yay! Saving a bit for the hols. (Read that one downstairs)

In the loo, I am reading Broken Angels, some American cop thing.

In the bedroom, I am ploughing through the Agatha Raisin series, dopey, but very soothing!

14. The Timetraveller's Wife

Just started it hope I can get into it, just think that I may have a bit of trouble believing that a man can just be randomly transported through time..hope there is a credible reason for this somewhere along the line.

15. Like you, Rivers, I have just started on "The Time Traveller's Wife" and am struggling to get into it. I can appreciate the clever structure but the characters and the premise are just not convincing me-it's just irritating! Struggle on I suppose though am tempted by my well-thumbed copy of "Hunting Mr Heartbrek" by Jonathan Raban again. Lovely to have the time to think about it though.

16. The vanishing act of Esme Lennox by maggie o'farrell...

It's fab! I finished it today actually, it proved a bit hard to put down! The first one of her books I've read, I'll defo be checking out the others!

17. For The Time Teaveller's Wife, if you suspend belief just enough to accept that it is possible, the book becomes much more absorbing.

18. Love love love time travellers wife.. keep going, it's great. It really got me wondering about time travel and how it would work lol

At the mo I'm re reading The Day after tomorrow by Allan Follsom (I don't know how to spell his name - it's upstairs) and it's not the book of that film with Donnie Darko. V good.

I started Shakespeare Secret but can't seem to be interested enough to pick it up again.

Just finished After you'd gone by Maggie O' Farrel - which is lovely jubbly. Takes a bit of getting used to the switching time.

I'm desperate for some new material though.. any suggestions?

19. The Other side of the Bridge - by Mary Lawson - really enjoying it actually - real saga that goes back and forward in time good.

I read Shakespeare Secret - I was a bit disapointed at the end.

Did read Michael Murporgos Born to Run at the beginning of the holiday - lovely book - will defo be reading it with my difficult class next year Y6 - loads of flashbacks and animal charaters.

20. I'm pushing my way through Wuthering Heights!!

Started Jane Eyre ... as cuoldn't find WH one day!