1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you planning for end of Year 9?

Discussion in 'Science' started by phlogiston, Jan 16, 2011.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

We are expecting to start teaching GCSE A and to complete a module of biology, chemistry and physics before the summer. This will be in line with the most up to date version of the specification whetehr draft or approved. If massive changes are made to the content, we will have egg on our face and have to teach other stuff in year 10, but we don't think that will happen.
    We are still thinking about GCSE and BTEC, but options for year 9 are coming up fast. My guess is that any student thought capable of GCSE grade C will not be allowed to do BTEC.
    My colleagues in MFL feel that they will be at the sharp end of this Baccalaureate, with reluctant students who do not value the qualification as much as the school. They also consider their GCSE to be harder than the others - a view with which I have some sympathy.
    P

2. Thanks for your reply. I think our BTEC cohort will be the same as yours. A mixed blessing of teaching less BTEC next year but instead teaching C target students which will put a huge amount of pressure on that teacher to perform.

3. I don't think that you will be able to do coursework in year 9 anymore anyway as i get the impression the new coursework has to be done between september and may of the year you submit it...

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

That seems to be true for OCR. That will make resits awkward. However it will save us from "I want to redo my case study, (I'm planning to change the font add 3 words and change the order of 2 paragraphs)....."
    P

5. That's my understanding too. The ISAs only have a shelf live of 1 year.
    What are people's thoughts about the merits of the different boards...
    We're with AQA at the minute and I love (is love too strong - a bit geeky[​IMG]) the eAQA service. For those not using AQA this is an online tool that allows you to drill down into how pupils, or groups of pupils, have done in exams.
    Do other boards offer this kind of service? I've heard that edexcel do. Has anyone got experience of this?
    One lady I meet said that the reading age of the AQA papers was higher that other boards - what are people's thoughts on this? Does anyone know of anything online that can be used to assess the reading age of a given piece of text?
    I spoke with a lady from AQA last Monday and at present they only have examination 'slots' in Jan and June - does anyone know if other boards are allowing pupils to sit exams at different points of the year? (For those who don't currently use AQA CORE science modules can be sat in Nov, March and June.)
    I know not all of that is relevent to the OP but it would be great to hear people's thoughts on the merit of the different awarding bodies.
    Thanks, C

6. OCR do too.

7. Edexcel have an online resultsplus service where you can analyse students exam papers etc. Also for may we have received a free class set of early versions of the textbook with the first unit for each science subject in it ( still subject to accreditation) so we will start teaching the content from that, u can contact edexcel fir your free set

8. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

My understanding from AQA is that the CAU (coursework) will have a 1 year shelf life but will be available in advance of that year...so it would be available in advance to do before but would only have a 1 year submission window. E.g. you may know what the 2013 submission CAU is a year in advance to do with Y10 but submit with Y11. Of course we've yet to see how much is available in advance and from when.

I think we'll be doing coursework practise and some basics if nothing else.