1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you hoping for this Christmas?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JTL, Nov 7, 2015.

1. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I am hoping for family harmony. Son and daughter will be home for just a couple of days, son bringing girlfriend for the first time. Daughter is not keen on son's girlfriend. We are starting to warm to her and everyone is always welcome in our home. Initially daughter said if the girlfriend came, she wouldn't, and son said he wouldn't come if girlfriend could not as her family are very split and she always feels torn between them.

So I told daughter we did not want to choose between them and perhaps we would go away instead and not host Christmas. Problem solved! She's all talk really. Christmas is not my favourite time of the year but I always make the effort so I am sure it will all be fine for those two short days.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

3. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

I'm hoping for a quiet time when I can switch off and relax.
    Husband is hoping for prosthetic leg!

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Boxing Day

ilovesooty, colpee, kibosh and 3 others like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

6. ValentinoRossi

Just been so madly busy, GDW. And, to be honest, absolutely knackered.
    Met up with a few Tesser friends a couple of weeks ago and decided I really need to make time to get used to nuTes!

Mr Rossi is doing ok, thanks. He is the most positive person in the world, but we do have difficult days sometimes. We'll get there. Eventually.

midnight_angel and HelenREMfan like this.
  7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

So pleased to see you back Val! I've wondered where you were. I'm not surprised you have difficult days- your lives chsnged on a sixpence!

I'm hoping for familial harmony too. I would just like everyone to be together as a unit, instead of family in rotas. I constantly feel I'm on eggshells!

lindenlea likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

I hope Mr Rossi gets the best bionic leg ever! And that you both have a wonderful Christmas. Nothing's to make up for what's happened so you're owed a good holiday by the fates.

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

If you are all very good, I am sure Father Christmas will bring you everything you wish for. Ho ho ho.

10. grumpydogwoman

We are considering a no-pressie pact. I can't really think of anything I want and nor can she.
    Seems pointless and wasteful.

11. ValentinoRossi

Mr Rossi and me don't do Christmas presents, either. Never have done. We have a lovely dinner, with a bottle of special champagne and enjoy being with each other for three or four days - no one else around. That's the best pressie.

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We don't bother with presents for each other either. He'd never get what I want and I'd never get what he wants. He drives he children mad because he is so difficult to buy for, almost impossible I'd say.

Just to have everyone well, happy and solvent is good enough, although I expect the grandchildren would disagree, apart from the youngest who isn't old enough to have an opinion.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I want someone to organise a stocking for me so I'm not the only one in the house with no sock to open in bed this year :(

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I hope son2 can get through his visit to us without turning into Kevin the teenager. He's 34. He gets his limited sociability genes from me sadly. :(

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I'm hoping Steve McQueen finally gets his motorcycle over the barbed wire when they show this year's Christmas Day rerun of 'The Great Escape'.

16. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Surely this year.... Still , if he gets over he might find some crazy nun singing her heart out on the mountain over the fence.

marlin likes this.
  17. marlin

marlin Star commenter

@ValentinoRossi

Glad to see you back and posting on NuTess. :)

It must be hard to remain positive all of the time, so no surprise that you have difficult days sometimes. Best wishes to you both.

xxx

lindenlea likes this.
  18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

A shopping trip in the sales instead?

19. Nuuk

Nuuk Occasional commenter

Like GDW I can't think of anything I want apart from all the children and grandchildren together at some point, doesn't have to be on the 25th though.

It does remind me of the joke (apologie to all who have heard it) about the persistent journalist who contacted the Prime Minister and asked him several times what he would like for Christmas. Aware of all the sleaze scandals the PM said he didnt want anything. However the journalist continued to ask him and he eventually said a small box of crystallized fruits would be nice. In the paper the following week there was a piece entitled `What world leaders would like for Christmas`. The Head of the UN hoped for a reduction in world poverty.The US president hoped for an end to conflict in the Middle East. The Russian president hoped for a reduction in tension in the old Soviet bloc and the British Prime Minister was hoping for a small box of crystallized fruits!

Noja and grumpydogwoman like this.
  20. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

Time off work!