1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you going to do today?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by colourfulrainbow, Nov 16, 2011.

1. I was doing ok with supply teaching, couple of days a week, plus temping at a museum Thursdays and Fridays, but this week has been SO dead..have had no supply (very lucky for the temp work I guess, even though lower-paid!).
    Anyway - want this to be a positive thread! I left a permanent job in August, and even though I have SO little money I am still happier because I have time, for life and for my family, so..... thought I'd start a thread about what we have time to do that crazy stressed life in some schools doesn't allow time for.

This week I have:
    - tidied the whole house (could never see tabletops when I was full-time)
    - painted walls to make them look shiny and new
    - emailed schools to try and get SEN work to broaden my experiences
    - Researched cheesecake recipes and am baking one shortly for OH
    - Spoke to my mum four times!
    - Watched 2 DVDs with OH cuddled on sofa WITHOUT a laptop on my knee!

Hmm can't think of anything else as yet, but sure I'll get more done today. Need to stay positive. Any other ideas of what we can do with the time? Please don't be negative and say 'have to apply for jobs' etc. I have an application form for an SEN job which I will do, but this is for people who have chosen to do supply. If you want to moan please don't do it here!

2. I have had lunch with friends today (on a special offer), something I could never do when at work full time. I made a stew in the slow cooker to freeze and for my husband to have tonight. I spent the afternoon and early evening with my mother who has dementia. Difficult but so worthwhile. Tomorrow I'm having a spa day with a friend. I have vouchers to use up. Yesterday even though I did supply work all day I was home by 4 o'clock so went off to Poundstretcher and bought some new Christmas garlands to go up the stairs. And to make things even better I have a day's work booked for Friday.

3. Thanks Lucylollipop..
    She is a bit better, but the ear is very painful and she was in pain all night and making noises of distress. The eardrum is perforated. It may require an op as they drained the blood yesterday, but the ear has filled up again. 8 antibiotics a day..She is dying (has advanced stage 3 kidney disease) so she means a hell of a lot to me and I love her dearly!
    But she is hanging in there and for this I am very glad!

4. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

Ostpreussen, I am so very sorry to hear how ill she is, but she is very lucky to have someone who cherishes her so much. Take care.

5. You too Lucylollipop. Thank you so much for your kind words and wishes. [​IMG]
    Have a great weekend.

6. On my first few weeks of supply if I didn't get a call I'd usually end up wasting the day hanging around the house but now I try and make the most of it and do bits around the house like getting my washing done and dinners made and go for a long walk. Nothing amazing and definitely no shopping!!

7. But should I bother to make such an effort to try to help so many supply and unemployed teachers when they are not prepared to help themselves or even to accept such help?

It is of course your decision, BUT..
    Be glad that you are concerned enough to care and are actually doing something which may be of benefit to yourself (hopefully) and others. It is a question of listening to your inner voice; what is right and what is wrong.
    Far better to be so than to be one of life's sitter-on-the-fencers or a sheep who stands in the same field grazing and gazing and just goes baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..
    There are too many sheep in the world Bronco! It is a safe existence, but quite boring..

8. Going to keep praying for a bit more supply then going to visit one school and fill in an application for another. Better do that DIY my wife wants doing to [​IMG]

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I've had no work since 5th October.
    Since then I've ...
    given the decking 3 coats of anti-slip varnish
    changed my energy supplier (and should get back about £500 from the credit held with my current supplier)
    moved my ISAs for a better interest rate,
    filled a bin bag with rubbish accumulated in my desk!
    started buying christmas presents
    been to Venice on £9-99 flights each way
    entered over 200 competitions (and counting)
    spent countless hours on TES
    been to London for a day and visited the National portrait gallery (and met up with Miss jubilee)
    made bread a few times (lovely milk roll recipe in magazine, made from a custard-style base mix!)
    re-arranged the shelves in my spare room/office to accommodate paperwork piled up around the house
    cleaned the inside of the windows for only the second time this year!
    shopped around and made full use of money-off vouchers and supermarket promotions (I should get 2 x£25 of shopping free at Morrisons in the week after Xmas)
    watched long-saved programmes on Sky planner whilst doing the ironing
    taken a car load of stuff to Miss jubilee when she moved into a rented studio in London
    mended coving at my rental property and cut the hedge
    phoned my LA agency regularly to no avail .. but have I really got time to go to fit in work anyway?
    Decision time will be the end of the year as my Union membership is due for renewal on 1st January and I see no point in paying it if supply work is effectively dead in the water.

10. Today and for the next week, I am following the doctor's advice - REST!!
    Ended up in A&E yesterday, after I badly went over my ankle in my Netball match (we still won!). At least I've finally met my target or not neding up on the floor more than 5 times in an hour-long match due to tripping over my own feet/contact from another player :D

11. I drove out wih my dogs today to the Lickey Hills (edge of Birmingham) and had a two hour stroll in the mystical mists and woods..Found a fascinating wooden carving of a giant's head with two fists and his tongue were two long snakes..in the middle of the woods off a beaten path! We were just led there..
    Recall Robert Frost's poem (one of my favourite) - The Road Not Taken..
    My dogs loved it and we got kinda lost and that added to the excitement! My on dog is very ill, but she loved it and had a good old walk. It is important to go to new and interesting places and so good for the dogs' intelligence and for them to run free and be happy. Always meet some miserable bu-gger-s in my local parks who jerk them about and never let them off the lead, but I was happy to see them so happy and free! It is good to explore different places (and branch off in life!).
    Thanked God hat I was in the woods and the weather was like out of Tolkien "Fog on the Barren Downs", but there was no shortcut to mushrooms as we did not find any!
    In a moment, i shall write to the curate vicar of my church to thank him and his team for the fantastic Alpha weekend last weekend at Shipston on Stour. It was a beautiful weekend and there were testimonies, praying, worship and even a long 12 mile walk through the Oxforshire countryside. But the weekend touched my soul - all about the Holy Spirit and it was very warm and I learned loads. We even had individual cards with Bible verses in our rooms..I am doing the Alpha course at a lovely spirit-filled church and am spending much free time reading the Alpha book and another book which has Bible quotes and exposition and is designed to be read in 30 days.
    I am glad to be taking some time out of teachng and supply. To think this time last year I was doing 60+ hour weeks and working every evening designing powerpoints..
    Tomorrow I am on a jobcentre course about interviews and interview techniques and then its Alpha in the evening. Nice to meet new folks...
    This is a lovely thread btw and very heart-warming.

12. crusell

crusell New commenter

check out this link may be useful for you ostpreussen
    https://www.french-selection.co.uk

13. Fantastic!
    It seems you are doing all the right things to avoid depression according to the CBT therapists...keeping active to prevent the ever spiralling cycle of negative thoughts of being "unwanted", superfluous, made redundant (because of schools' use of unqualifified as cover "teachers" etc etc etc
    I hope you remain upbeat... but many of us are in complete despair.

14. check out this link may be useful for you ostpreussen https://www.french-selection.co.uk
    Thank you Crusell..Have just checked this out and will register my cv.
    Thank you so much for the link - whoever you are! That is very kind. [​IMG]

And this thread has just made my day!

15. And here it is..Might it inspire some others in and with life:

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" id="table21"><tr><td style="width:100%;"><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr><td style="width:100%;">The Road Not Taken </td></tr></table>
    </td><td rowspan="2"><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" id="table24">
    <tr>
    <td>
    <table cellspacing="0" style="border-style:solid;border-width:1;" id="table25">
    <tr>
    <td align="center">
    <font size="4" color="#800000">#5</font></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td align="center">
    in Top500</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    --><table cellpadding="2" style="border-collapse:collapse;"><tr><td align="center">[​IMG] </td></tr></table><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="width:122px;align:center;"><tr><td align="right" style="height:16px;"><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="align:center;"><tr><td> </td></tr></table></td></tr><tr><td> </td></tr></table><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" bgcolor="#f1f2f2"><tr><td align="center">
    # 5
    on top 500 Poems

</td></tr><tr><td>User Rating:
    </td></tr><tr><td>9.1 /10
    (777 votes)
    </td></tr><tr><td class="z1">
    - vote - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    </td></tr></table><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#f1f2f2"><tr><td colspan="2"> </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td><td>Add this poet to MyPoetList</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"> </td></tr></table></td>--></tr><tr><td><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" id="table23"><tr><td> </td><td style="width:100%;">Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I marked the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

16. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

Didn't get a call today so took the dog for a walk then went back to bed for a couple of hours. The house is cold and it was nice to snuggle under my duvet and nice furry blanket to keep warm.
    Tomorrow is the third anniversary of when my boyfriend and I met. If I get a call I'll go to work, obviously. If there is no call then we will be off to York to spend the day together.

17. Tomorrow I'm going to the Houses of Parliament to have tea with my MP (and 30 other people!)

18. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

I've taken my niece to school this morning and walked the dog, and am about to go back to bed for a snooze.
    Got a zillion things to sort out, mainly the mountain of ironing that is building up in the spare room. If I was rich I would pay someone to do it for me.
    Might go to the cinema later, or tackle the 19 page CES application form that has been sitting on my desktop for a few days.
    Plenty to do, but lacking the motivation to do it on this cold November morning. [​IMG]

19. 1.Had a visit from my landlord this morning so spent the evening tidying.
    2. Spent an hour or two roaming the forums. Too addictive
    3. Off to sort through all my junk from my last teaching post. Yes it has taken this long to get round to doing it. But hopefully I'll have my desk back.

Have a good day everyone.

20. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

Working this afternoon but this morning made a couple of fairly important phone calls I've been meaning to make and also cancelled a direct debit. Just going to go and chop veg for tonight's tea so I don't have to do it when I get in tonight.