1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you eating on lockdown?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I know it depends very much on what is available, but I am putting on so much weight! Its frightening!

I've got vitamin and mineral tablets. So that's covered, but would be grateful for any inspiration for how to eat healthily in these circumstances.

I suppose weirdly, its food that takes a long time to prepare that would be help! I keep reaching into the fridge for snacks!

ShowerGel likes this.
  2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Basically, I go through all the good stuff and then decline into a very basic cuisine which I regard as a penance.

Lidnod and Corvuscorax like this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've deliberately not bought snacky things but I've got loads of time to make lavish high-cal meals from scratch. This morning I've made American style pancakes, served with butter, soured cream (it needed using up!), a fruit compote and maple syrup. Could have had Special K.
    I'm 5lb heavier than I was three weeks ago.

4. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

Not weighed myself but I know my jeans are a bit looser. No snacks, completely forgot them on my last shop. Don't fancy alcohol. Cooking from scratch and eating a lot more veg. To be honest mr m and I don't seem to have much appetite

ShowerGel likes this.
  5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I fry up in olive oil, onion, garlic, add chopped peppers, add chopped mushrooms and kidney beans. Add chopped tomatoes and a bit of purée. This will give us a nice pasta topping and the leftovers form a nice jacket potato topping. Easy but filling. Add cheese as desired.

Corvuscorax and ShowerGel like this.
  6. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Don't buy snacks - that's always been my answer.

Also I make things like coleslaws with apple, celariac, beets and other stuff all grated and mixed together with dressing - see below or lemon juice and the grated zest is fabulous - and yoghourt - which lasts a few days so is ready at mealtimes to avoid snacking.
    Freeze things too to go with salad - nut roast slices up perfectly - freeze in portions. Saga vegan nut roast is the one I cook as it seems like the best! Last time I added lemon zest which made it even better.
    Have healthy stuff only in fridge and cupboards - tins of fish and beans eggs cottage cheese maybe.
    Keep tomatoes, lettuce etc in fridge to go with coleslaw and nut roast etc and maybe boil some potatoes to go with it all too.
    Make delicious dressings - I have apple cider vinegar, olive oil and a drop of honey - add salt pepper and a few herbs if you like.

Is that any help?
    The grating takes ages and I par boil the beets and celariac.

Also make different kinds of curries with lots of vege added. Coconut milk is delicious added and it'll all keep a few days in the fridge. Just boil the rice beforehand.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  7. rararasputin

rararasputin Senior commenter

Anything and everything.

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Eating much the same, exercising daily. Net weight loss. Child exercising 3 times a day, hardbody.

9. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Wish I could say it had affected my appetite! Time to sit over a leisurely breakfast (rather than a cereal bar on the run if you're lucky). The same at lunch time. A long walk after lunch, then a cuppa and home-made cake (all this unaccustomed time for baking). Finally, dinner cooked from scratch with little thought to carbs and fat content.

I'm not getting on the scales at the moment!

10. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I'm getting used to UHT milk. It's actually quite palatable.

Corvuscorax likes this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

There's plenty of milk in the shops - or are you unable to go out?

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm eating pretty much the same as normal although stock at the butchers was scanty this morning.

Jamvic likes this.
  13. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Judging from the panic busting I suspect most people are eating other toilet roll omelettes or toilet roll Bolognese/ tagliatelle Etc.

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I've been avoiding buying snacks/biscuits/chocolate as I know that if I start eating those,I will never stop and just will have to go to the corner shop(only a few minutes on foot) to get more. Also keeping away from bread as one slice of toast leads to several more!

ShowerGel likes this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I'm eating the same as I always eat.

In fact - and please don't let this be misinterpreted - my life isn't much different. I live alone, so no problems with being 'isolated'. After the initial 'panic-buying' I've found shopping to be OK, so my food and drink routine is the same. I've done a daily walk for the last 3 years, so have carried on as usual.

Yes, like everyone, my diary is now full of crossings-out, but I don't miss what I haven't had. I can go to Hastings / Brighton / Cornwall / Germany later.

I do miss not physically seeing friends & family, but so many phone calls, I'm probably talking to my friends & family more than normal.

I'm shopping for people from church, and doing stuff around the house which I've put off for years. That's the main difference.

I hope this doesn't come across as smug? I am, of course, hugely concerned about those who are particularly dear to me, especially those whose health or age makes them vulnerable. And my heart goes out to so many people - parents with children coralled at home; those whose livelihoods have fallen apart - they must be so desperately anxious; and of course those who are ill, or working in vulnerable situations. I can - and do - pray for them. But my life hasn't much changed. I feel very fortunate.

16. Corvuscorax

yes, it does help, thank you

ShowerGel likes this.
  17. Corvuscorax

not smug at all, just nice and friendly and chatty

Jamvic, bonxie and chelsea2 like this.
  18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I think it's about it not really mattering to be honest. (Unless your'e causing yourself discernible blood pressure issues or something). It's not a time to impose guilt on ourselves when we are blameless in being so cornered. Maybe it's time to embrace the fortune we have in still having food in abundance. Not just food, but pretty much everything we are used to.
    I am eating anything I can get my hands on because eating is comfort for me and I have experienced an almost insurmountable vista of boredom every day between about 2pm and 7. I miss the movement of work, and I miss the huge amount of sport I would do with my family and friends.
    I have put on so much weight I even have bingo wings on my eyelids at this point.

I don't care. I really don't. In terms of being bendy-well, I hardly need to put my shoes on. And in terms of looking good, my hair is the bigger crime.
    Yesterday I was on the sofa for about fourteen hours, writing, gaming, posting on here. And eating almost constantly. Sybarite in lockdown. I don't care. It's not for ever.

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I could have written that!
    And this could be the very opportunity to just let my hair go grey. I've got a mighty badger stripe and a halo already. I might just get it cut short and be natural.

20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Had the first salad for lunch today. Lovely. Just a bit of everything in a bowl with salad dressing. Attack with a fork.

@Aquamarina1234 re the hair, go for it - so liberating.

Lara mfl 05 and Corvuscorax like this.