1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you doing to celebrate National Avocado Day?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Jul 31, 2020 at 5:01 PM.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

National Avocado Day occurs every year on 31 July. Will you be having something retro as a starter?

[​IMG]

Maybe you could fancy some mint chip avocado ice cream?

[​IMG]

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm celebrating by not eating one

3. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

I really don't understand why people eat avocado. I have only eaten one if friends/ family put it in a salad . Certainly wouldn't buy one.

4. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Hmmm . . . prawn cocktail in an avocado - delish.
    I must be retro
    Or just hungry :)

Aquamarina1234 and modelmaker like this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Last year I was visiting a friend in Liverpool and we went out to a bar where I got chatting to this nice bloke. In due course, the conversation turned to food and I asked him "do you like avocado?". He said "sorry love, I don't drive".

6. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Occasional commenter

I wouldn't eat a vegetable named after a lawyer; think of all those repeat fees......

Dunteachin likes this.
  7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Moi aussi! And that ball shaped green thing in the picture above looks like a giant snot ball!

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Errr... It's a fruit and no mention of a lawyer in this little story

The ahuacate, a pebbly-skinned, pear-shaped fruit, had been a staple food in Mexico, and Central and South America since 500 B.C. In the 16th century, Spanish conquistadors fell in love with the fruit after observing its prized status among the Aztecs.

Until the early 1900s, the ahuacate had never been grown commercially in the United States. By 1914, however, hotels in Los Angeles and San Francisco were ordering as many of the fruits as they could and paying as much as $12 for a dozen.

But the farmers faced a marketing problem. First, ahuacate was too hard for Americans to pronounce. Worse, it was the Aztec word for testicle, named for its shape and reputation as an aphrodisiac. Then there was the other unappealing name: "alligator pear."

The farmers came up with a new name: avocado. They informed dictionary publishers of the change — and that the plural was spelled "avocados," not "avocadoes" — and named their own group the California Avocado Association.

The approach worked. Today, California accounts for nearly 90 percent of all avocados grown in the United States.

Dunteachin, sodalime and sbkrobson like this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Actually you'll find an avocado is derived from the Aztec word for testicle.
    So you may like to re think your position, who knows.

I certainly would never eat a vegetable called, say, a Petrocelli, so I do get where you are coming from.

Edit-just saw HBFs last post-Friday erudition with the same ancient world testicular backstory.

sodalime likes this.
  10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I shall not indulge.

11. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 Occasional commenter

Not a fan at all. On the exotic fruit front, much prefer snake fruit.

install likes this.
  12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Hence the nutty flavour?

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Well I like them as long as they are ripe, but not enough to know there even is such a thing as National Avocado Day nor to do anything to celebrate it. What are we supposed to be celebrating? What have avocados ever done for us?

needabreak and Jamvic like this.
  14. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Dark rye bread, layer of mashed avocado, poached egg, pepper.Roasted cherry tomatoes on the side. A delicious breakfast or brunch. Yum.

15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Yes. The two things are analogous. Similar. Twin entities. Absolutely mutually reminiscent.
    It is very hard to tell the difference between an avocado and a testicle. In fact, place the two side by side and they are virtually indistinguishable.

..which btw also gets you banned from Aldi.

Dunteachin and colpee like this.
  16. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I’ve had a lovely idea for a Happy Avocado Day card but I don’t think Hallmark would print it!

modelmaker likes this.
  17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I expect you'd like that served on a piece of slate too.

Dunteachin likes this.
  18. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Nobody mentioning Brocolli (sp?), real name Calabrese?

19. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Good... the increased demand for them internationally has caused serious issues around the towns in countries where growers have switched to growing these thirsty plants... when they were niche it wasn't too much of a problem but now the global market has developed some people are going without water for our avocado on toast.:(

modelmaker likes this.
  20. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

Technically, only the variety of Broccoli that originated in Calabria is known by that name. There are lots of other varieties. Sainsburys sell "brocoli rice", for over a quid a packet. It's just grated brocoli you can make yourself for half that cost if you own a grater. I think it's something intended to be eaten raw by vegans, but I expect if you were imaginative enough you could find a way of using it with meat. It might be ok to pad out and add flavour to a shepherd's pie, or be pureed into an alternative to mushy peas.