1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you doing now you're retired?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Cakemate, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I'm fairly new to the forums and have recently asked for (and received) a bit of advice on early retirement, thank you.
    My next question is - what are you lucky bods who've retired actually doing?
    I feel that with the right books on my Kindle I could very happily spend the first few months of retirement in a semi-reclined position reading and napping, but then what?
    I've got some ideas for myself but would be interested to know what you're up to, be it work, rest or play.

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Oh welcome to the 'lucky bods' site!
    I too spent the first few months catching up on the reading and trying to declutter but eventually got tired of that! (will get back to it soon I promise myself).
    Meanwhile each week I go to the gym twice for about an hour. I have 2 1/2hrs of tutoring. The usual cooking, cleaning and washing - but don't rush at it, space it out instead of trying to do everything in a Saturday.
    I'm going to buy a greenhouse, so have spent more time pottering about in the garden, planting seedlings etc in the lovely weather - because if I was working I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the this wonderful sunshine.
    I had intended to do a little voluntary work in local school but haven't got around to that. Also had to look after a puppy a couple of days a week for my sister-in-law whilst she was away in Auz, so went walking twice a day for a couple of days a week.
    Have also lunched with friends out and about as well as in our homes.
    It doesn't sound like an awful lot but it fills my days together with a bit of guilty pleasure of watching a bit of tv and just chilling out really.
    I've still got ideas of what I shall be doing too but have learnt not to feel guilty if I don't do very much at all - which is the best part.

3. Hi Angiebabe,
    You are 'lucky bods'...I hope you didn't think that was a typo from a jealous teacher still in harness!
    The de-cluttering sounds like an excellent idea and should keep me busy for the first year. (Think I should get in training by tackling my office first!)
    I had thought of puppy walking for the RNIB, which I think would be very rewarding as long as I didn't become too attached to hand the pup back.
    Enjoy your gardening - the weather is set fair for a few more days yet, if you can believe the forecast.

4. Having not worked for a year and having little pension due to ILEA losing my service records, we are not far off starving.

5. Ooooh I am so jealous! Even though I have made my class stay out all day its all the cr~p that came up in the teachers meeting that just sends you into a decline. Does it matter which form I use for Ofsted..........................do they realise how much I don't care?

6. ljr

ljr New commenter

I have got very much more involved in my local community - I've joined a couple of committees and am chair of one - its great to be in control of a meeting at last & only discuss the things that I want to and am interested in. I still teach 1 day a week, walk a friends dog with her, 'play' in my greenhouse, visit my baby grandson.... how did I find time to work full time?

7. I have a couple of volunteer projects on the go, walk the dog a lot and other than that I have no idea what I do but the days fly by very happily. Oh I footle around in the garden too. Bliss.

8. Oh for time to pootle in the garden!

9. I try to avoid answering the "what do you do" type questions. I usually answer I do what I like. Retirement isn't like work there is no check list of things to do. If you want to climb Kilimanjaro or listen to Radio 3 all day that's fine, if that's what you want to do.
    For the record, I spend my days doing some, all or none of the following. Going to the gym, looking after my 87 year old mother, following Leeds United, reading, playing cricket, listening to Radio 3, going walking, going to church, working as a volunteer for the Labour Party, being a School Governor as well as the usual domestic and family stuff.
    This is the last third of your life. Do what you want!

10. Working part time helping my OH run his business (MagEzine) www.hoteldesigns.net also got tired of the declutter- just about to restart and reorganise garden amongst other things

11. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Sorry - completely OT Christel - but your cat (or the one in your avatar) looks exactly like mine lol

Back on topic - I sometimes pop into this forum to just see what it might be like. I am getting on for 57 but can't leave yet. Wish my 2 sons could be independent and then maybe I could

All your daily activities sound great - something for me to think about - perhaps practise in the holidays lol.

12. martinalford

martinalford New commenter

I've been retired since last summer and Oh it'sgreat! Best career move I ever made.
    First thing I did was keep a promise to myself and fly off on holiday on 1 September, the day my school went back. The feeling lived up to everything I thought it would be.
    Then I spent some time in the autumn doing some decorating I'd been putting off, but with the difference that I didn't rush it and try to cram it into a weekend. Radio 3 or 4 on all day, no bells telling me what to do and when - bliss!
    I've got time to practise the piano and viola properly, and I have access to local churches so am learning some organ works I always wanted to but didn't have time. Playing some midweek services too, now I'm able to. Walking. Reading.
    I'm also working a little at my old school, covering the exam classes of a colleague who left at Christmas. It's finite though, as they appointed someone earlier this week to start in September. The money is useful, and there are no meetings, duties, parents' evenings, cover, or any of that stuff. Suits me.
    If anyone's reading this who is contemplating retirement, I say; go for it if you can possibly afford it! Every day is a blessing, and you'll look and feel years younger. Once the idea of going is in your head you won't get rid of it. Just work out the finances carefully first - the TP website is very helpful. Give the school plenty of notice so you can work through the inevitable conflicting emotions and arrive at the last day as if it's the culmination of a process.

13. Your cat is lovely too Kittylion- sadly we no longer have ours and owing to all the retirement travelling at present have decided not to get another -yet- miss coming home to him though :(
    As martin says one of the best things is doing stuff at own pace [​IMG] and no rushing- my cooking and washing routines are no more crammed into Saturdays if it is sunny we take a day out to a NT property for instance.

14. I think there is a pattern to the way people respond to retirement. I recognise that I am working through a process. I too spent the first three months decluttering and doing house work. After seven months at home I think we live in a messier house than ever before! We had three holidays between September and November. We watched a lot of Homes Under the Hammer! We started to walk regularly in the local woods and feed the ducks. Our National Trust cards have finally paid their way. We have spent a lot of time with friends who we never saw and have planned all our holidays this year with friends. Unheard of when we were working and just wanted to be on our own. Now as the fine weather is here I am replanting large sections of the garden and OH is building a motor bike. We sing, read, go to the cinema. Some days I do nothing and it feels great. I have joined the National Women's Register which has given me contact with other women and we meet twice a month. I have been doing a bit of teaching but am looking forward to it coming to an end soon. I found January and February a bit dark and miserable and will plan next year differently. These months are definitely good times to go somewhere warm and sunny if possible. There is plenty to do if you choose to. The nice thing about retirement is that choice is the key word.

15. Ooh have not heard of the NWR though back in 70's there was National Housewives register wonder if that was their origins? have contacted my nearest one to see what they do.

This afternoon I am being lazy catching up with all the Upstairs Downstairs (totally naff and unrealistic ) I missed whilst on holiday. It was good to be warm in February but South Africa was a bit too hot when it got to 38-41 so do be warned. I think Portugal might have been a better choice.

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I used to be in NHR too and it has transmogrified into NWR now. Ours is not good - totally ossified and not friendly but when we move (sigh) I'll give it another go.
    I <u>really</u> enjoy having time to notice the changing of the seasons. Our garden gets prettier every day. Just been out to put 4 in 1 dressing on the lawn. Also we both drove out to the bank to put in a cheque and drove back over the hills, stopping for a coffee at a pub we haven't been to for donkey's years. Even on a cloudy day there is spectacular scenery within 3 miles of us.

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Booked 5 days in Marbella at the end of the month to scratch OH's itch to stay in a nice hotel in the sun. It does look good and a good price, so not our usual holiday but I'm looking forward to it. Our lack of house move has been so frustrating we need a distraction.
    Having said that - new grandchild coming on Thursday at the latest ( will be 13 days late by then)and we're on standby to zoom down and look after g'child 1. We've been on standby for about a month! Exciting and worrying in equal measure. This would all be so much easier if we lived closer.

18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Going down to Midlands today to look after g'daughter when d-i-l is induced tomorrow. Now that's more exciting than working.
    Just realised I'm repeating myself, sorry. A bit stressed!

19. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Lovely! Congrats to you Lindenlea

20. Hope it is all going well lindenlea :)
    Well my local NWR is full so that is a nono I have asked their central office if I can start one here as it was a few miles away! Proactive thats me :)