1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you doing for the Shakespeare CA? (AQA)

Discussion in 'English' started by swallowtail, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Just interested in hearing people's ideas for this. I want to do The Merchant of Venice, and I'm thinking of doing a characterisation question focussing on Portia or Shylock, and probably comparing it to another Shakespeare play (or maybe poetry). It's all a bit vague at the moment but I'll happily share stuff when I've done it. What are other people doing?

2. Just interested in hearing people's ideas for this. I want to do The Merchant of Venice, and I'm thinking of doing a characterisation question focussing on Portia or Shylock, and probably comparing it to another Shakespeare play (or maybe poetry). It's all a bit vague at the moment but I'll happily share stuff when I've done it. What are other people doing?

3. manc

manc New commenter

Perhaps other boards have different rules, but for WJEC you have to compare the Shakespeare etxt with a poetry collection.

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I'm not sure how well this conforms to AQA A, either.

5. anteater

anteater New commenter

It's fine for AQA to do two Shakespeare plays.
    Mine are writing about the ways Shakespeare explores different experiences of love in R and J and Much Ado.

6. gruoch

It was more the task I was thinking of. I don't remember exploring one character being amongst the CA options.

7. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

We're doing Macbeth and Richard III (focus on the 1st act of Richard) and giving students the choice of titles, between "conflict", "choices" and "presentation of tragic hero" (current Yr 11 so entering summer 2012).
    Of course, questions will have to change for next year (AQA).

8. gruoch

Well, tragic hero won't work for Shylock or Portia in the OP - is the 4th choice 'relationships'? I'm teaching English only and I'm a bit rusty on lang and lit.

9. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

It takes some sophisticated discursive writing to consider Richard III as a tragic hero (although first folio = "The Tragedie of Richard III). An able student should be able to consider Shylock in this light too (respected man with position etc.fatal flaw(s) - greed, pride/hubris, desire for revenge...) Not sure this one works for poetry comparison though - better with a Shakespearian tragedy.

10. gruoch

But it's Antonio's tragedy, not Shylock's!
    By whom?

11. You can definitely do two Shakespeare plays (it says that in the CA guidance). And this surely suggests you can focus on a single character? "Explore the ways that writers use contrast within a character or between characters to interest the reader or audience." - from the 2013 question bank.

12. gruoch

Ah - we've changed boards, so I've not seen that. I was going on the 2012 bank.