1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you cooking, then?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Dec 20, 2018.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Cosmos always used to start these threads, so I'm going to on her behalf.

What will you be cooking and eating over the Christmas period?

Christmas Eve we usually have a fish soup but I fancy ringing the changes this year. Might be fish pie, might be fish curry, might even just be a nice piece of roasted cod with a glossy mash. We'll see.

Christmas Day, we'll start the day with ham and eggs. Mrs909 family tradition. I'll never break it. I choose a smaller portion every year though.

Then for the main meal, we'll start with smoked salmon nibbles and then the main will be a roast duck. Stuffing, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, sprouts, madeira gravy. Dessert will be whipped cream with lebkuchen folded though and topped with chocolate. Cheese in the evening if we're hungry.

Boxing Day will be kedgeree for breakfast. Then dinner in the evening will be cold ham, garlic roast potato wedges and sprout remoulade. Dessert will be Pannetone bread and butter pudding!

And you?

primarycat likes this.
  2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Beef casserole on 24th lunch, out in pm so just savoury nibbles and Christmas cake later on. Not cooking on 25th. 26th will leek and potato soup with bread made by d-I-l. Ham sandwiches, then cold meats and salads in the evening, followed by fruit compote or trifle with savoury snacks just to top up later still. 27th walk and pub lunch then fish pie with left over puds and nibbles in the evening if we feel like it. It might stay in the fridge till 28th.
    Off to get the groceries this pm - nothing fresh of course - just the basic packets and boxes of stuff that I like to have extra supplies of. Exciting!

primarycat likes this.
  3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Christmas eve will be hot glazed ham with Cumberland sauce, jacket potatoes, creamed spinach and a veggie pie for PCjr. Then my mince pies, which are actually tarts and tiny, with brandy butter.

At the stroke of midnight, PCjr will start her annual day of eating meat again. Christmas is a particularly special time for her, and as cooking and shared eating have always been a big part of our lives, she's decided not to lose everything she enjoys just for that day. So she'll be tearing off hunks of ham at that point!

Our breakfast on Christmas day is always stollen, coffee and juice as we open presents. The stollen is Mr Pc's traction that we have taken on. Then late morning will be a blini or two with salmon roe and smoked salmon.

A very late lunch will be goose with roast potatoes, parsnips, sprouts and chestnuts, German style red cabbage, may be some green beans, prunes soaked in brandy and three stuffing. Sage and onion, apple and a sausage meat one. And gravy! Then Christmas pudding, more mince pies, brandy butter and cream.

We open presents and then pick much later on at leftovers or cheese and biscuits.

I'm a bit stumped for boxing day though as not much left over meat on a goose and PC Jr will be veggie again.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Family are here for dinner on the 23rd. We will have cheese straws, chicken and saffron pilaf and chocolate fondants with salted caramel middles. There is vanilla ice cream or Bailey's cream to go with those.

On Christmas Eve we will either have turkey and leek or beef and stilton pies. Our guest has a gluten free turkey and leek pie filling ready in the freezer. Pudding will be apple and quince crumble.

On the big day Mr BS has pork pie for breakfast, my Mum and I will have smoked salmon and scrambled egg. Lunch will be roast goose, stuffed with mashed potato before roasting, red cabbage, glazed carrots, peas and marsala gravy. More of the same fondants for pud.

On Boxing day there will be a risotto made with the leftover goose, herbs and chestnut mushrooms. I expect there will be crumble left to finish before we go to visit more family for a few days.

I also have a selection of cheeses, watercress soup, French onion soup, quincemeat mince pies and Christmas cake. Bring it on. I am ready!

primarycat likes this.
  5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Duck with red cabbage and roast potatoes. Christmas pudding for nizeman, baked quince for me.

I'm sure I've said this before!

I must remember to buy a white cabbage so that we can refresh ourselves with my favourite winter salsd: shaved (not sliced) white cabbage dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Nothing else.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  6. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

23rd will be steak, chips and salad, 24th pizza, 25th, smoked salmon and scrambled egg breakfast then out to visit a Christmas lunch for people who'd be on their own, all run by volunteers and the food donated by local people. Next the radio station to make a guest appearance on a show, then to another Christmas lunch similar to the first one. Finally home to start cooking. The turkey will have been putninto a programmed oven and everything else ready, gammon, potatoes to rast, stuffings, sausages, bacon rolls, veg all prepped. We eat about 6pm, drink Rioja and finish with cheese. No pud, but have one of Belle's for o/h. Boxing day, cold meat etc.

nizebaby likes this.
  7. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Tomorrow beef stew with caraway dumplings and mustard mash.
    Sunday we are going to the pub with some friends so it will be something off the menu there.
    Christmas Eve will be Coca-Cola ham with baked spuds.

Christmas Day
    cream-cheese bagels and "posh" breakfast cereal. Bucks Fizz.

Canapes and bubbles

Turkey with roasties, maple parsnips, Christmas carrots, stuffing, pigs in blankets, petit pois and "posh" gravy

Chocolate cake thingy dessert.

Later, cheese board etc.

later still large spiced rum and coke, two mince pies and cream. Feet-up n ****-orf

Boxing Day

Tomato and red pepper soup.

Turkey again but on a lesser scale than Christmas Day. We usually carve the meat from the crown and then leave it in the gravy overnight.

Oh and we have a homemade Christmas cake and yule log to eat too.

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Tomorrow it will be fish pie with roasted carrots and peas.
    Tuesday we will have Christmas Chelsea Buns or Pannettone in the morning while the children open their stockings, then for lunch I’ll roast a Turkey and Goose which we’ll have with red cabbage, sprouts, carrot and swede mash, roast parsnips, roast potatoes, roast spiced squash, gravy, bread sauce, pigs in blankets and stuffing. This is followed by a small portion of Guinness, treacle and ginger pudding.
    We open presents after the Queen’s Speech (old family tradition of Mr EGs) and then in the evening we have a mini buffet - cold meat sandwiches, homemade sausage rolls, pork pie, cheese and crackers, crisps and other bubbly bits and trifle.

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Christmas is strange when your partner comes from a different tradition. Nizeman is secular jewish. His mom loved our christmas dinners.

10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Egyptgirl, you must have a very fancy oven if you're doing a goose and a turkey at the same time!

11. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

Christmas Day. Oven roasted salt water eel.

12. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Screeeeeeeches to a halt.........you’re having what?!

13. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

Eel is very nice!

14. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I love smoked eel.