1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you best/favourite place value activities?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Bsmirched, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Bsmirched

Bsmirched New commenter

Help!! I've just returned from maternity leave to take over a Year 3/4 class of VERY mixed ability. Many of them have absolutely no concept of place value and without that, as you know, they're pretty much stuck. Therefore, I need to do, do and do some more place value work so I'd really welcome your ideas. I'm going to have to stick with it for a while, so the more ideas the better - right from the basics upwards, mental starters, practical activities, anything you have done that's really worked for you. Many, many thanks in advance!

2. Bsmirched

Bsmirched New commenter

Help!! I've just returned from maternity leave to take over a Year 3/4 class of VERY mixed ability. Many of them have absolutely no concept of place value and without that, as you know, they're pretty much stuck. Therefore, I need to do, do and do some more place value work so I'd really welcome your ideas. I'm going to have to stick with it for a while, so the more ideas the better - right from the basics upwards, mental starters, practical activities, anything you have done that's really worked for you. Many, many thanks in advance!

3. Stamp, Clap, Click. You stamp your feet for the hundreds, clap the tens and click your fingers for units, so 342 is three stamps, then four claps then two finger clicks. It's a fun game that seems to help some children.

4. Bsmirched

Bsmirched New commenter

Thanks so much.

5. Class game that kids love:

Split class into two teams.
    Draw a grid on the board TEAM 1 TEAM 2
    TH H T U TH H T U
    Member of team one comes to front and rolls large dice - that team then decides which column to put the digit in - (winning team is the one that makes the largest number, eg if they roll a 1 the best column would be the units, if they roll a 6, the best column would be the thousands column). Then member of team 2 rolls dice etc.

6. Game the kids love!
    Split class into two teams.
    Draw grids on board TEAM 1 TEAM 2
    TH H T U TH H T U
    Member of each team takes turns to come to front of class and roll a large dice. His/her team then decide which column to put the digit in, ie if a 1 is rolled, the best column is the units, if a 6 is rolled, the thousands column is best - Once a digit has been put in a column, that column cannot be used again. The winning team is the one that makes the larget number

7. Oooopppss!! Sorry about that - didn't mean to post twice [​IMG]

8. Bsmirched

Bsmirched New commenter

Thank you - couldn't get on for a couple of days and lost the thread!