1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are you being paid?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by wingy08, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Ok - sorry if it's a cheeky question, but I am new to the supply game and need some advice! I was M6 and had passed through threshold at the end of my last post as a primary teacher. I'm now looking at supply work and have been quoted a daily rate of £115 for work in London (outer London).

From the other forum posts on here, this seems very low for someone at this level (If you take off weekends I was being paid £134 a day in my old post INCLUDING during school holidays and the other rates quoted on this forum for someone at my level seem to be between £140 and £160 a day). I know that supply work is scarce in some areas and work is work.....but the consultant has said he has a lot of work at the moment (although that could just be sales nonsense he's talking of course). The consultant has said that he will increase the rate after a half term. He is probably trying to get me into lots of schools by making me 'cheap' but this feels like I am being undersold quite a lot...... So I wanted to know what other supply teachers are being paid as a daily rate and are you getting work at that rate? (And do you recommend any good agencies in North London with better rates of pay?)

Any advice is appreciated!

2. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

My local authority supply agency pays according to the national teaching pay scales - so if you are M6, that is what you get paid at. If I were to work the full 195 days in an academic year I would earn the same salary as a FT teacher on the same scale as me.

It sounds as if you are definitely being short changed - esp. as London MPS rates are higher than elsewhere in the country.

3. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

Sorry, rather than 'same scale ..., should have been 'same point on the pay scale...'

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Outside London an easy way to calculate Scale salary as a daily amount is as follows:

For M1, your daily rate is £110

For every extra point up the scale (including UPS), add £10 a day.

5. Thanks for your responses so far. Do you think that in the current climate schools will pay whatever the going rate is for M6 though? I'm wondering if that's why he said that rate in the first place? Budgets are tight, lots of use of TAs for supply etc....? I'll be doing daily supply work not long term contracts so maybe schools would rather pay for someone on M2 if it's just for a day. I don't want to be short changed but equally I suppose there's no point charging a higher rate if it means I don't get any work at all....Does anyone have any experience of being higher up the main pay scale and getting regular supply work at a decent rate (i.e. being paid for M6 and getting regular supply work)?

6. Typhoon

Typhoon New commenter

I am on M6, and when I work directly though schools and am paid through the LEA, I get paid to scale (which I believe should equate to around £167 per day). That being said, since I moved up to M6 (Sept '09) I've had next to no work directly through local schools, aside from odd bits of one-to-one tuition or booster classes for 10 weeks or so at a time. I used to get a lot more daily bookings when I was on M5! I wonder if this is just because use of supply has diminished in my area generally, or because schools are not prepared to fork out the extra to pay the M6 rate and are preferring to book supply teachers who are lower down the pay scales instead.
    I also work through an agency, where my rate is £120 per day, and has been for the past 5 years I have been signed up with them! I am led to believe this is the top of their pay scale. So in short, sadly in the current climate, I wouldn't advise you to expect to get lots of work, either regularly or paid to M6 rate.

7. I am secondary so I have two rates- 115 general cover. 145 my subject I am M5, with what I consider an outstanding agency.
    The rates depend on how good a negotiator you are with the agencies. Sometimes you may have to say NO. Let someone else take the job on, on that day.
    However M this and that, threshold, is meaningless compared to good feedback, ready to go in the morning with the morning call.
    Agencies saying they will give you a pay increase after a bit. They will to humour you , they will offer 2.50 more a day after awhile so they cannot be accused of bulling.
    Then threaten you with, if you do not accept the rate then do not go.
    Basic negotiating rules for me.
    Never negotiate an agreed rate down in the morning when they call.
    A morning call is not the time to negotiate rates. Say no if they try it on. Then in the afternoon ring em to have a chat on the game plan.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Short answer - yes. I still get paid to scale for supply work in certain schools and I'm UPS U3. The agency arranges the booking and the LEA pays me. However I've also had to work for an Agency flat rate of around £130 (roughly equivalent to M3), and occasionally as a CS for as little as £65 a day. The paid to scale work is diminishing, so I'm making the most of it while it lasts.

9. No, round here virtually all work is via an agency paying a flat rate which is substantially below scale rate. I am on UPS2 but get paid a flat rate of £120 a day plus 12% holiday pay. It's way under *** I should be on.

10. I don't know why that was asterisked out. I only put w h a t

11. I'm an NQT and so should be at the bottom of the pay scale but my daily rate is £130 with one agency (and I get usually at least 2/3 full days a week and then half days for the rest of the week) and £120 with another.I have an MA and my subjects are English and History, so this may explain my rate as I'm always in demand.
    I'm in North London so PM me if you would like the name of my first agency - only have good things to say about them!

12. richfruitcake

richfruitcake New commenter

Where I am there is only agency work. I get £110 with 1 agency and £100 with another. I am M6. Another agency is trying to reduce the rate to £90 from £110 because they say they need to be more competative to secure work..