1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the unions doing?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Dominie, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

In response to this question which has been posed by some people on this forum, here's an email I got today from the SSTA ...
    Dear Mr Dominie

You
    may be aware of the article in newspapers at the weekend, discussing
    possible action to end conservation.

This
    was one of the proposals agreed between COSLA and the Scottish Government
    in November 2010. Teacher Unions have not agreed to this and negotiations
    are currently underway. At this stage the Management side have been
    unable to provide us with any of the details needed to make a rational
    decision.

COSLA
    are stating their position very clearly! If they are unable to save
    the £60M they claim to require, teacher posts will go; through
    redundancy, vacancies not being replaced and possibly increased class
    contact time. There are difficult choices ahead.

I
    can assure you however that this Association is working hard to produce
    the best possible outcome for members, and will continue to do so. We
    will keep you informed through the website, by email and by post.

Yours
    sincerely

Ann
    Ballinger

General Secretary

2. I have tried to get some response from the EIS but just got the runaround. They only seem interested in supporting NQTs and seem to have forgotten that supply teachers (of which there are many) are going to be hugely affected by many of the proposals from COSLA.
    So EIS here is your opportunity - tell us what <u>you</u> plan to do about that and all these other damaging cuts!

3. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Velma, did you not get the wee blue newsletter in your school in December? There was a bundle sitting in the photocopy room at my school.

4. There are EIS Facebook groups which work quite nicely to keep people informed.

5. CTC

CTC New commenter

"A personal email from the General Secretary" - That'll make the government think again eh!
    The EIS on Facebook - I'm sure COSLA will be having second thoughts now!
    COSLA (Glasgow City Council man in charge) are using the media to drip feed the gullible and raise the rabble against us. The unions need to move with the times and use the media to fight our case.

6. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I got an EIS leaflet in the post today inviting Glasgow members to a meeting in February. I'm sorry but I seem to have misplaced it so can't give the details at the moment! The meeting is to discuss budget cuts so, if you're a Glasgow EIS member, make sure you go along!

7. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

i wonder if this is timed for just after the next sjnct meeting that was delayed from december,is it not at the start of Feb sometime?

8. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

The Russell Letter (I had one too) is looking very dodgy. The letter I received guaranteeing a place on the supply register for 2011 NQTs and warning existing supply teachers that they were probably for the chop, tells a tale, we are expected to go away and make room for a shiny new SNP<strike> success story</strike> fairy tale for the voters.
    And the tumbleweed blows across Moray Place.

9. Not only is his Letter likey to be very dodgy, ryeland, but so possibly is Mr Russell himself. In my local paper recently, it reported that he was forced to respond to complaints that he was abusing his position as Education Minister.
    Apparently, he is plans to stand as an MSP in Argyll and Bute and was caught trying to influence the local SNP in their decision to close rural schools. He said it would seriously damage their prospects according to Mr Russell. Also, his HT wife was moved from a closing school to one nearby.
    I wouldn't want to accuse anyone of cronyism or abuse of power . . . but . . .
    Jobs for the boys . . .