1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the top 3 challenges you face as a Head?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by blackjack1812, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Thanks in anticipation...I'm hoping your honest, "insider" thoughts will help me decide next steps

• LA agenda interference.
    • Staff focus upon OFSTED rather than pupils
    • Gender imbalance on staff

2. Too little time
    Too little cash
    Too much paperwork.

3. bnm

bnm

Balancing the budget
    Keeping a diverse staff on board and cheerful
    Changing goalposts from on high

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Maintaining a harmonious community in very challenging circumstances, raising expectations (pupils, parents - initially staff but no longer a problem), proving to Ofsted that there is more to schools than achieving above average (which we are finally doing but boy has it been a slog) and that it is nothing short of a small miracle that some of the children do as well as they do.

5. Males

Females

Everybody else

6. Constantly changing 'stuff' from 'on high' (frameworks, initiatives, laws, SEF, safeguarding, building regs and on and on.........)
    Paperwork (policies, forms, evidence, records, minutes, information documents, letters....)
    Petty issues that take up a lot of time

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I know what you mean about paper, sometimes I think I'm going to drown in it. Putting the same information into different formats/ form for different people drives me potty. And having tonevidence everything. Just let me do it and trust me that I have!

8. Parent, governors, staff.
    Don't have too many worries about the paperwork though as we have an online system for storing all PMR, CPD, development plans and self evaluation.
    Easy much less work.

9. Paperwork

Paperwork

oh, and more paperwork[​IMG]

10. Job share issues
    Paperwork
    Staff

11. Hi
    Just wondering what online system you use? Any advice welcome.

12. Its called Bluewave Swift, I dont know how we could work without them, its unbelievably thorough for our self evaluation and has ties with our development plans, PMR and CPD.
    Have a look for them yourself they do demo's online.

13. sun seeker

sun seeker New commenter

getting staff onboard to move forward after an inaccurate "good' ofsted
    unpicking the cover-up of the previous head
    and all of the other issues mentioned by the above!!!! not possible to be 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. It isn't the job description bits...
    It is lack of sleep through worry and thinking....What is the right thing to do? Will so and so be okay? Will we be safe to open? How do we improve so such and such is better in the future? Some weeks it is every night after about 4-5 hours sleep....You can feel very lonely in the role
    It is work / life balance as everyone expects you to be available to them and it is a very visible / high profile role.....I find it easier to help / protect my staff with this than my family / me....
    Feeling guilty that many things get done in an 'okay' manner but not as 'good' as you aspitre to or can do without all the 101 other things....
    However it is a great role in so many ways and we often never talk about that.....Helping a family in a crisis, encouraging an outstanding member of staff and leading the team through challenges to the other side....Being front of house at great public events that the kids and staff have pulled all the stops out for.....Doing a few changes in school that the staff, kids and parents have asked for and seeing it work....