1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what are the thoughts of aberdeen city teachers

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by grunwald, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Yes, I think that's the rub. Aren't people who are made redundant legally entitled to some kind of settlement anyway? I doubt if many council workers will want to enhance that settlement via a substantial salary cut by some people who already fairly poorly paid. I know that amongst retired teachers there is a little bit of ill feeling about older teachers whose early retiremnet package was additionally enhanced with a voluntary severance payment.
    Mind you, I'm not absolutely sure what was being proposed. Anyway, it's been thrown out by the unions amidst a chorus of derision.
    People are genuinely angry about this, especially when they think back to the retirement package given to Douglas Paterson, the author of Aberdeen's bureaucratic triple nightmare in education.

2. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Yes they are but usually you get a better deal if you take a voluntary package. The legal payment isn't usually that brill.

3. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

As I understand it it is illegal to make someone redundant compulsory or voluntarily and replace them. So don't they shouldn't be able to

4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Spot on ScotSEN - but as we've seen with CfE and other initiatives/ideas being illegal doesn't always stop them. As for saving money, (I'm furious about this and just going to say it anyway,as I know it won't offend people with a conscience) maternity pay/leave seems to be increasing by the day. I heard of one teacher (promoted and only few months into promoted pay) off for one full year, then with 60-odd more days leave, will be off until end of April,. This teacher is not alone and I know of at least one other in similar position.
    I do not have a problem with working mums, it's the paying them AND their replacaments indefinitely, then they may be pregnant again or not come back which bugs me.Is it only teaching that seems to let these women behave like this? If people lived within their means we wouldn't be in this financial mess - time we got back to good old-fashioned values. This big-freeze reminds me of the old testament stories about the plagues in Egypt - greedy societies eventually pay for being greedy........

(better get off my soapbox before I slip off!!!!)
    [​IMG]

5. Yes, I think even the unions are a bit red-faced about this one. The holiday leave accrued on top of maternity leave is down to European legislation, and teachers whose children were born on or before 5 October 2008 may be able to make retrospective claims for leave entitlement. At the beginning of this year, Edinburgh City Council factored in pay rises of less than the anticipated 1% for other council workers to pay for this new legislation.
    That said, some women do return before the end of their maternity leave, in some cases well before.

6. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Yes, absolutley, which is my point and these honest, hardworking mums get no thanks for being so hardworking, having a conscience (and basically not ripping off the system?)

7. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Do they get full pay? I thought they got leave but not necessarily at full pay. I could well be wrong we haven't had a teacher off on maternity leave for ages just support staff and I'm sure one of them said that she didn't get full pay the whole time she was off.

8. redz

redz New commenter

of course you don't get full pay the whole time you are off, you get 13wks at basically your full pay, 13 weeks at half, then goes to statuory pay from government which is less that £100 a week ( if I'm wrong on dates etc apologies but certainly don't get more that 13 weeks full pay)
    but to the original poster...Aberdeen city are taking the mickey, can't believe they are suggesting that and sack asn staff on top of the agreement they want to be made to our other terms and conditions....and a Happy New Year [​IMG]

9. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

my real thoughts are probably unprintable so I'll better not come on here later tonight after a few drinks. Might get myself banned.

10. I have been a primary school teacher for over ten years. I gave up my full time permanent post in Aberdeen City over four years ago to have my children. I went onto the supply list so I could work round my husband's shifts for childcare. I have just heard from a teaching friend that supply teachers are to drop to the bottom of the payscale. As I have worked to the top of the payscale this would involve me taking over 30% pay reduction!
    I have tried to find out about this elsewhere online without success. Can anyone tell me whether this is only for Aberdeen City council staff? Also, has this decision been made or is it simply under discussion? Would anyone be able to direct me to any articles or sites which might explain just what is going on???

11. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I think there will be a lot of people at the meeting!
    Lets face it (having been there and done it)supply is not for the faint hearted and while you do get a few who are only in it for the 'pin' money and who don't really pull their weight most supply teachers are very hard working and professional.

12. you don't get full pay the whole time you are off, you get 13wks at basically your full pay, 13 weeks at half, then goes to statuory pay from government which is less that £100 a week ( if I'm wrong on dates etc apologies but certainly don't get more that 13 weeks full pay)

i wish! 13 weeks full pay, then about £120 a week which is taxed. if we don't have babies we'll have no-one to teach! and before this directive teachers got far less holiday pay than other council employees. This isn't really a teaching issue so not sure why it was brought up, everyone gets smp. And I'm not trying to personally insult other teachers or cheat the system by taking maternity leave, I just want to have a family and cannot afford to be a stay at home mum!

13. argh didn't press the quote button so that has come out garbled. Will try again!

!
    i wish! 13 weeks full pay, then about £120 a week which is taxed. if we don't have babies we'll have no-one to teach! and before this directive teachers got far less holiday pay than other council employees. This isn't really a teaching issue so not sure why it was brought up, everyone gets smp. And I'm not trying to personally insult other teachers or cheat the system by taking maternity leave, I just want to have a family and cannot afford to be a stay at home mum!

14. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I know exactly where you are coming from I was permanent part-time and it took a move to permanent supply to get full-time. As yet the change hasn't been agreed but.......... As far as I can gather if you are doing something on a long-term basis ie more that 4 weeks then the plan is you will be paid at your proper rate but if you are doing odd supply days then that is when you get paid at point 1. Also only supposed to be only paid for the hours in front of kids. So when planning and marking is supposed to be done is anyones guess.

15. That's the rub - planning and marking won't get done! They can't have it both ways - they can't treat us like dirt and then expect us to do everything as well. I get asked back regularly by some schools which helps me a lot because they know I'm reliable and will go the extra mile during my day but I won't be doing that anymore if this is the way I'm going to be treated.
    Last year, an LA near to where I live was slated because out of 46 teachers on the supply list, 45 were used. What does that say for the rest of us. However, one good thing that might come out of this is that the retirees wont want to work for their 'pin' money anymore because its not worth it for them anymore.
    And as for NQTs and probationers - don't even get me started on them! Why should they be guaranteed a job? No-one helped me when I was starting out. I have worked damned hard to get to the top of the pay scale. The EIS should be supporting us too!

16. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

"Last year, an LA near to where I live was slated because out of 46 teachers on the supply list, 45 were used."

Pardon my ignorance, but why was LA slated for that?

17. Sorry, was in rant mode! I was referring to retired teachers on the supply list!!!

18. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Rant away Velma you'll be writing what lots of us are thinking!

19. In your rant against retirees, probationers and NQTs, you seem to have overlooked the fact that some schools will never see a supply teacher again, retired or otherwise, if they decide to pay them at basic rates for contact hours only. There are already difficult schools which have huge problems getting casual supply.

20. As I've said previously on this thread, I am one of those who rely on supply to pay the bills so, no matter what happens, I will have to take supply on whatever basis it is offered. Supply is not 'pin' money to me like many of the retirees I know. Many of these retirees have already had the benefit of an enhanced package from the LA and that's what annoys me and many others in a similar position to me.
    I haven't got an issue with working in a 'difficult' school. I am more inclined to go back to a school if the staff and management are okay.
    In a LA near to where I live, they are already paying most supply for contact hours only so that's not so much of an issue either. However, it becomes an issue for me if they start paying me at point 1 of the scale - that would cause great difficulty for me!