1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the things...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NewJob2010, Jul 24, 2011.

1. NewJob2010

NewJob2010 New commenter

that you set up in the summer that really help you all year?

I want to be REALLY organised this year!! [​IMG]

NJ x

2. I organise furniture, sort out the bookshelves, clear and restock the cupboard, make labels for drawers and boxes, buy a few things for the first few displays, set up APP, make class lists and reading record files, make timetables and put names on all the books the children will be using (usually Maths, English, jotters and sketchbooks.)

3. NewJob2010

NewJob2010 New commenter

Thank you! I think i've done all those things already!
    NJ x

4. I make sure I speak with previous class teacher so I can get a picture of the children I will have next year. From this I usually create my seating plan (I take head shots of the children and I move them around on a piece of A4). Once I feel it is ok, I copy and keep in my supply folder plus have a copy in the classroom so everyone knows where they are supposed to sit. I change seats termly. I also tentatively create my maths, English and spelling groups from end of year results/info from previous teacher. These go in supply folder also and are displayed in class. Last year I also set up a folder and every child had their own page - and added notes to the pages throughout the year. However I did change this slightly during the year and started to keep a spreadsheet which had the core subjects on it too and this was really useful for parents' evenings. I also make sure the work the children did on the 'meet the teacher' morning is displayed - I think it is nice for children to see something they have done on their first day back.

5. I'm in a rec/1/2 class this year, and I'm making sure that assessment folders are set up for each year group....EYFSP and APP. First role-play will also be set up ready, and resources for first few days back organised. Even getting letters to parents (eg introductory letter, parent/teacher meetings etc) saved somewhere close to hand makes sorting them out at the right time less time-consuming. I have made a list of things I expect my TAs (one 1:1, one part-time class TA) to do each day, eg turn on/off computers, etc.

6. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Wash rulers!!

7. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

and whiteboards

8. lovecake123

lovecake123 New commenter

I also find it useful to make 2 or 3 sets of name labels laminated and ready for displays. Saves loads of time when putting up displays throughout the year and can be reused!

9. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Perhaps not in the spirit of the thead but I spend my summer not thinking about school at all and doing entirely nothing work-related. Certainly makes coming back in September much easier.