1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the things you love most about teaching?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Teacherteacher12345, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Teacherteacher12345

Teacherteacher12345 New commenter

I would like to start a thread to hear about everyone's best experiences and what they love about their jobs? What are the positive things about being a teacher?

2. markhorsey

markhorsey New commenter

Each day is different
    Every child is unique
    Lightbulb moment
    Talking to the children
    Seeing their smiling faces each day

Did I mention
    Planning
    Marking
    Reports
    Assessment

I thought not. First 5 is what every teacher gets out of bed for

3. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

This is a good idea for a thread so I've pinned it so that more people can see it and contribute. Would anyone else like to add their suggestions?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. justme22

justme22 New commenter

Its all about the inquisitiveness of the children that enlighten me and when the pin drops the star in their eye are amazing.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

Coming up with fun ideas that get the children learning.
    Over the years, some of my happiest memories are playing computer games (nat.geo website adventure in the titanic and questionaut), role-playing adventures i have planned for the children (we did one yesterday, and they were so excited about it), doing treasure hunts, putting together fun assemblies, rewriting Tintin books...​

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Teaching and seeing the eureka light bulb come on in a child's eyes. Not changed in 30 years or so.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

The variety - no two lessons are ever the same, even if you try to do them the same. I am never bored at work (except on training days).

The unpredictability of the job - you can never be sure what's going to happen next.

The feeling you are making a difference - like that unexpected letter you get from an ex-pupil over a decade later, telling you what a difference you made to their life.

Being able to inspire a love of learning and awe-and-wonder about the world we live in ("...Look at that beautiful spider! I wonder what sort it is? How does it know how to make its web?...") so they see things differently.

Using my creativity - I love being allowed to use big sheets of paper and coloured card to make stuff, and having to work out the best way to explain decimals.

Lara mfl 05 and hammie like this.
  8. Ajedrez

Ajedrez New commenter

Meeting a new cohort of different personalities every single year to get to know, to discover hidden talents, attempt to understand, make a difference in the smallest of ways....and enjoy the relationships with children that are true, sincere and authentic.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I am never bored at work (except on training days).
    ain't that the truth!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. TheBigPickle

TheBigPickle New commenter

The holidays...

11. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

The children. Hands down. You get a good class that you really connect with and each day is an absolute treat. Still hard work, but so much fun.

Lara mfl 05 and hammie like this.
  12. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

good grief. Clearly it's the holidays. Duh.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

The interaction
    The speed of the day
    The sound of laughter:):):)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. WB

WB New commenter

August

1 person likes this.
  15. asnmdirteha

asnmdirteha New commenter

That moment when everything just works together. You teach one lesson and it helps create another interactive second lesson. Doesn't happen much but when it does everything feels so perfect.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. voiceoftruthandwisdom526

voiceoftruthandwisdom526 New commenter

The best conversations - I would never have had a conversation about whether farts condense into clouds anywhere else!!

HENRIETTATSELIMHE likes this.
  17. MonstieBags

MonstieBags Occasional commenter

Seeing children make progress and knowing that (at least in part) you did that.

18. RossOnderbrook

RossOnderbrook New commenter

The huge salary.

19. TheBigPickle

TheBigPickle New commenter

The universal respect...

20. triangle653

triangle653 New commenter

The best thing about teaching are the children!

Yes, they can drive me up the wall sometimes but each child is individual, they have their own quirks and they make me laugh, cry, celebrate, and keep me in the job!

I have one girl in my class who will always make herself laugh when she's talking!
    A boy who is completely away with the fairies but he's fantastic! Each child is so unique- some are a little crazy!

I love the stories I can bring home about the ridiculous things that have happened as part of a 'normal' day! It is great to compare them to my husband's stories from his day in the finance industry.