1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the things that you wish you'd done during the summer before your GTP started

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Mandarinpassion, Jun 18, 2011.

1. My GTP starts in Sept. I'm now having a million things to do - long reading list, my current job, training courses, preparing for my first lessons, holiday...
    Hence the above question, any tip?

2. My GTP starts in Sept. I'm now having a million things to do - long reading list, my current job, training courses, preparing for my first lessons, holiday...
    Hence the above question, any tip?

3. Relax and enjoy your time off as time will be your greatest enemy in the year to come!

4. But would a bit of reading and preparation now make your greatest enemy in the year to come less great?

5. I did some things whilst waiting to do my GTP which really helped me. I decided to focus on passing my QTS tests as soon as possible in my GTP year. As maths was my weak area I spent quite a bit of time revising for the test over the summer. I booked and took my tests as soon as my GTC number came through. It meant I got them out of the way before my assignments started being due. If you have a weak area on the QTS tests I would certainly recommend spending some time getting ready. I found the Patmore book on passing the QTS numeracy test really useful.
    I also read a few inspiring reads like Ken Robinson the Element.
    I still had time to relax, but felt a bit more prepared.

6. I'm not aware of QTS tests and my GTP provider CILT has never mentioned this to us. Is QTS tests applicable to all GTP?