1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the statutory requirements for submitting weekly planning to the SLT?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by FabulousPoodle, Sep 27, 2020.

1. FabulousPoodle

FabulousPoodle New commenter

Hello all,

I am a teacher of a Nursery class, who are very young, mainly late Spring and Summer born children.

We are still in the process of helping our children to settle, dealing with separation anxiety, toileting, building trusting relationships with unfamiliar adults, (without home visits), learning to share, take turns and wait for access to resources, adapting to nursery routines, having to locate to the dining hall for lunch and in some cases, learning to adapt to attending breakfast club, transitioning to nursery class, transitioning again to the dining hall for lunch, adapting to unfamiliar staff for the lunch period, then, at the end of the day, transitioning to after school club. A lot to ask of a 37 month old child!!

In the past, I planned daily, in order to respond to the children's needs and responses. I love to add value to the previous days learning and delight in seeing the children's response to the extra level of challenge that has been added to the previous day's observed learning. My TA and I exchange views based on our observations of the day's learning and plan together to meet the learning needs of each child in our planned provision for the next days learning..

However, following a significant change of Senior Management and due to reduction in budget allocation, the SLT has been significantly streamlined, including the dumping of responsibility for EYFS onto an upper KS2 trained teacher, with no experience of teaching EYFS.

I am now required to submit weekly Literacy and Numeracy adult led planning, with follow up activities, plus indoor and outdoor enhancement planning, plus individual lesson plans for adult led activities, in advance.

In our nursery class, this would mean at least five adult led plans per day - 25 per week, in addition to five weekly numeracy plans and five weekly literacy plans.

Of course, I do plan for pupil experiences and adapt my next steps planning according to how my young pupils respond and react, and of course this planning will be different according to the response of each pupil. But it is just not possible to plan a whole week in advance, given that young children are biologically programmed to learn according to their own, personal agenda. Thus, it is nigh on impossible to meet the school planning criteria, that I plan a daily literacy and maths lesson, a week in advance, plus plan around half termly 'topics'

I tried to find out what the statutory requirements are, around teacher planning, but Teacher Standards kept being flagged up, and these are not specific around the requirements for submitting weekly planning . Frankly, I would rather work on provision for children's learning, rather than wasting the time writing down what I plan to do in order for it to be saved in the Cloud, never to be looked at again.

Any advice from colleagues would be greatly appreciated.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

So you will need to educate and train them. Both our SLT haven't a clue about EYFS and think nursery and Reception are the same thing and can plan, teach, operate in the exact same way. (My late summer born nursery class cannot do what the autumn born reception children can do...not a shock to anyone experienced in EYFS!)
    I'm working on showing the differences over and over again...it's a slow process!
    Utterly impossible and nonsensical.
    Five adult led activities per child per day in nursery would require you to become a really, really naff nursery teacher...as you know!
    Absolutely.

Have a look here to get some ideas of how you can 'educate' the member of SLT asking for all this. It's from Ofsted, so will carry some weight.
    This will have some ideas of what Ofsted want to see in your class, which will also help.

Best of luck...if they continue not to listen and want such nonsense, you could always download some plans from somewhere and submit those. And they'll probably never know that what you are doing is nothing like what the plans say.

strawbs, phlogiston, IanG and 3 others like this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

There is no statutory requirement to hand weekly plans in to SLT.

strawbs, hamcguin, phlogiston and 4 others like this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ask SLT to contact colleagues in SLT in another school to get examples for you, as you are unsure how to set about this.

Pretty likely they'll get laughed at.

Best wishes

Twitter @Theo_Griff

corgie11, strawbs, nomad and 10 others like this.
  5. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

All teachers in school are expected to plan for 25 sessions per week.
    Yours should look different, granted, but it's not more than your colleagues.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

Errrrr except that 3 year olds don't learn by sitting on a carpet listening to a teacher 25 times a week.
    Nor by watching a ppt for 10 mins, 25 times a week.

No one is suggesting it is more work, just an utterly inappropriate task for nursery.

7. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

I take it sooooexcited has never taught in Nursery!

8. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

You shouldn't need to be in an expert in the EYFS to understand that late born summer nursery can't do what September born reception can. Ypu shouldn't even need to have a GCSE to understand such a concept.

Alice K likes this.
  9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

"What are the statutory requirements for submitting weekly planning to the SLT?"

There is no statutory requirement to submit plans to SLT.

But on the other hand there is no statutory right to refuse to submit plans if instructed to do so either.

If you want to look at this from a legal perspective (probably not the best way to look at it) then the more relevant law is general employment law which says essentially that an employee must comply with all reasonable instructions from their employer and if they don't they can be dismissed.

10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

rereading your post - so it is not SLT asking for it but a (phase leader?) teacher overseeing EYFS. Whilst they may have been a KS2 teacher that is not an excuse to not know what is happening in EYFS. So firstly I would find out why this information is needed. Is it something SLT are demanding or what this teacher would like? On the face of it, it looks like creating planning to be seen rather being seen to have planned. What will they be doing with it once they have it?

If you have to do it though, then put the bare bones needed in that give the ELG and a short description of the activity (see Wigan's planning formats and text you C&P). You should be able to do that as you know roughly what you will do over the week. That should not take you much extra time. You can then still adaptively plan to the needs of the children though and if it looks different when they come in on Friday you can show them the updated plan and explain why.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

But a summer born year 5 can often be not that different from a September born year 6... so for those only experienced in KS2 and upwards don't always understand that in EYFS, the difference is massive.
    ELGs are an assessment point for the end of Reception. Mentioning those in planning for nursery would be a nonsense.
    I don't plan any activities in advance at all for my nursery class. All activities are facilitated in the moment in response to children's interests and needs.
    I certainly couldn't, and wouldn't, begin to do what you are suggesting.

Pomza likes this.
  12. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I agree in the moment planning works much better, but it was meant as a solution to the situation described in the OP where they are expected to submit something. I suppose an alternative is they could omit dates and just submit what was recorded from the week before.

(I meant ARE not ELG - I'd just been talking about those earlier and it was stuck in my head)

agathamorse likes this.
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

That could work!
    In fact, sounds a fab idea.
    Unless there is some stupid school format that doesn't work.

14. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The better question is:

What is your calculated directed time budget allocation for planning? :)

...Very few head teacher ever reply to that oddly.

15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Are these plans of any use to you, or are they just BS to accumulate 'evidence' for management? Do you have to submit these plans in a standardised, and often time-consuming format? If you adopt @Stiltskin's suggestion and just submit the same lot of plans every week, and nothing is said, then it probably is just BS.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

My favourite...

agathamorse likes this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I take it sooooexcitedhas never taught.

bajan likes this.
  18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I’ve told this story before...

My sister and her colleagues were required to type out a complex school-invented form of planning (KS1) and submit it every Friday, so you couldn’t even work on it over the weekend. Although of course that could also be an advantage!

I advised her to do a really nice one, then submit the same one with just the date changed, every week. If it was noticed she could blame computer mix-up.

No, nobody noticed.

Best wishes