1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what are the statutory planning documents at the moment?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by scoobyhen, Jan 21, 2012.

1. this is probably a really silly question but find myself wondering what are they? NC was, qca, nls and nns were not but what is now? Is it just me or do the government constantly change what we should and should not be teaching and how we should be teaching and yet there is no definitive document or source fo information anywhere? Is MFl still compulsory at ks2?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The National Curriculum remains the only statutory document for planning

3. thank you i thought so too but different people say different things and it is difficult to know for sure when there is a lack of information available.

4. Msz

Key Stage 1
    The statutory subjects that all pupils must be taught at Key Stage 1 are: art and design, design and technology, English, geography, history, information and communication technology, mathematics, music, physical education and science. Religious education must also be provided.
    Key Stage 2
    The statutory subjects that all pupils must be taught at Key Stage 2 are: art and design, design and technology, English, geography, history, information and communication technology, mathematics, music, physical education and science. Religious education must also be provided

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The only statutory document has ever been the NC and that has been unchanged since 2000.

6. so what are the NNS and NLS and Creative curriculum etc all about?

7. Msz

the NLS was introduced in 1996 and provided guidance for the literacy hour it was never statutory. The NNS was introduced the following year for maths both were replaced by the frameworks which have now been archived too.
    The Creative Curriculum is a label which means different things to different people so there isn't a real answer.