1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the national expectations (levels) for end of KS1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by orb1, Oct 15, 2007.

1. What are the national expectations (sublevels) for end of KS1 in reading, writing and numeracy and does anyone have an online link for these.

Thank you.

2. What are the national expectations (sublevels) for end of KS1 in reading, writing and numeracy and does anyone have an online link for these.

Thank you.

3. 2b is the expected level

4. 2B is the 'average' expected level. Some of your Year Ones may have come to you on that, in which case you are looking for a Level 3 for them! I know 2B is average but I always feel a little disheartened if too many achieve this! It is very difficult for Year 3 teachers if you send the majority up on 2B ( or below!!).

5. Thanks guys. I am actually teaching Y3 and preparing for parents evening this week so having a look at my children's levels from last year, where they're at now and where they ought to be at the end of this year (progress of two sublevels).

I have to tell parents how their child's progress compares to the national average. Do you know of any reference to the '2B' average online or documentation I should be looking for in school?

6. No, really sorry Orb 1 but have just always known it is 2B - as if by magic!! The average in Year 1 is 1b and Year 2, 2b as they make 1 whole level a year in KS1. Can't remember where this info came from originally but it is what my school works towards. We have been Ofsteded, HMI ed, and have had 2 KS1 SATs moderations in the last 4 years (don't ask!)and have always been told that a 2B is average.

7. Just seems strange that there's all these references to 'national average' yet no documentation that's easy to find. I read somewhere that Level 2 was KS1 average but no sublevel was mentioned. I'm sure you're 2B is right but will check with my school... just so I'm saying the right thing to parents.

Thanks again.

8. Go on www.lancsngfl.ac.uk under curriculum and in literacy or numeracy under assessment there is a brick wall model that shows where children should be at end of each year. YOu can put childrens names in bricks to show where at now and where going!

9. That's very useful classteacher249, thank you.

10. You wont find it said officially that 2b is average since sublevels are not official ie average ks1 is L2 and KS2 is L4

11. Thanks bluerose.