1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the most successful 'alternative' approaches to teaching?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by milliebear1, Jan 28, 2012.

1. I think there is a fundamental misreading of what it means to have a creative curriculum. This does not, and never has, meant sacrificing in depth subject knowledge just so things can be shoehorned into a 'topic'.
    I choose a discrete subject and then look for other areas of the curriculum that link firmly. So, for example, if I teach a theme based around Victorians, I might not teach any science, unless I feel it strongly fits, but I would teach literacy and art according to that theme. When I teach Earth and Space, I would expect to teach a more science and geography heavy curriculum becasue often, it makes no sense to teach one without the other.
    Some subjects are easier to include in every theme than others. It has to be a careful choice, not just for the sake of 'fitting it in'. Sometimes this means I have to teach discrete subjects alongside out majority theme - and that's fine!

2. Most of us live in the real world where 'subjects' are interlinked. No part of my life if separate from other parts - even cooking the evening meal - shopping - maths and reading comprehension, science sometimes art comes into it in the form of presentation - if we are environmentally aware it could include geography.
    I get really frustrated trying to teach discrete subjects - it makes sense to make them cross curricular. choose a topic that you and the children will be interested and link sensibly with a variety of subjects. most subjects will link into some topics but all subjects will have areas within the subject that will need to be taught separately from the topic.
    As professionals the onus is on us to use our judgement and respond to the needs of the children rather than follow any curricular path without due consideration.
    Unfortunately, some but by no means all, NQTs appear to follow what they are told to the letter instead of relying on their own judgement. Teaching is not and never has been and exact science.No system or method will suit all teachers or all children.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think if we are assuming a creative curriculum = a topic/theme approach (not sure it is) then perhaps we need to remember that we don't have to teach each subject every week/term as long as we cover the statutory NC. So if your topic has a strong science focus but doesn't lend itself to history it doesn't matter just make sure your next topic covers history ...

4. That is exactly what I do. If I don't teach history for half a term, so be it etc. If I want to spend every afternoon for a week doing art, then that's fine too.