1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the most important things a tutor can bring to a lesson? What are the most important things a tutor can bring to a lesson?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Jwpe, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Hey all,

When you go to teach a lesson, what do you think are the most important things you should bring with you? Obviously you'll need materials and so forth, but beyond that, what are the other vital things that a lesson requires to be successful? Is it most important to have great knowledge of the subject being taught, or is your attitude and demeanour of greater significance? I've written an article about it containing my views on the subject - http://www.edifire.co.uk/blog/post/4-things-you-should-bring-every-lesson-and-1-you-s/ I'd be really pleased to hear if you agree with my suggestions, or if you think there are vital things that I've missed.

Cheers!

Jon

2. Having been tutoring successfully for a year now, I'd say building the student's confidence is one of the most important things private lessons can deliver. There's nothing like seeing someone's face light up when they produce a good piece of work with your support, or see their grade in class go up. I do think subject knowledge is vital, though, as parents often hire a tutor because the pupil needs more indepth understanding than allocated class time allows. You're also there to reassure the parent/s, so good communication with them is vital.
    Hope this helps.