1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the main golden points schools look for in a demo lesson & lesson plan?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by z_a_39, Jun 16, 2020.

1. z_a_39

z_a_39 New commenter

I am a social science/humanities teacher. Whenever I have done demo lessons and submitted lesson plans at schools, I put my heart and soul into them, making a unique, fun, memorable lesson. Then come the interview/feedback they always say the lesson was interesting, but sub-par because of this, that and the other. Basically it didn't tick the boxes on paper.

My main question, for future interviews I get, is: What are the main golden points schools look for in a demo lesson, and a lesson plan to make sure it ticks all their boxes for you being a brilliant teacher. I know I am a good teacher, but the reason I am not making the cut is because I am not ticking their boxes.

For future lessons/lesson plans, what do I do to make the lesson not just eye-catching, but tick all of the bureaucratic boxes as well?

2. maleprime

maleprime New commenter

It sounds like you are trying to plan and deliver a lesson that is 'all bells and whistles' so to make a good impression at interview which is understandable. Perhaps their feedback to your lesson is based upon this perspective and that schools now may prefer to see lessons which reflect what a teacher would usually deliver on a day to day basis?

For my interview lesson the main things I wanted to portray as my skill set when delivering the lesson was questioning, pupil participation and pace. It wasn't a fun or unique lesson but my planning was structured to show my thought process behind the teaching and learning based upon what I wanted to portray so to show pupil progress. It was a lesson that I would teach again at the same standard and reflected my usual effort and ability in line with experience.

3. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

Keep the plan simple.
    I'd say they look for behaviour management, progress and your ability to build relationships with the children so try to learn a few names. It's also useful to be really reflective... What went well about your lesson? Did the children make progress? How could you extend some children next time? What would the following lesson be? Etc.
    Don't start talking until every pupil is paying attention, be really positive when managing their behaviour... So and so is showing me they're ready by...
    Value the children's responses even if they're wrong- I'm glad you've pointed that out / that's not the answer I was looking for but glad you thought of..

Show the school core values yourself. Don't be afraid to refer to them in class if the pupils need reminding

Have a clear lesson objective and success criteria, get children to assess themselves, think of your questions, keep the pace up... I. E more children doing the work than being lectured

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

What gives you the impression that everyone wants the same "golden points"? They don't every school is different, managers in every school are different and they all change their minds on a regular basis, normally in a cycle of 5-8 years or so.

Just ask them what they want, or look on thier websites.

What is classed as outstanding in one school is considered inadequate in another, or even in the same school on a different day

agathamorse and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  5. gemmamarie08

gemmamarie08 New commenter

All schools are different so it's hard to give key points.

At the school I work in, we look for a solid lesson with clear, achievable objectives. Relationships with the pupils. How all pupils are supported to make progress. A plan in case the pupils don't understand is a good thing -the ability to adapt. I observed one candidate giving a lesson and it was clear that the pupils didn't understand concept A. The candidate moved onto the much harder concept B regardless. It would have been much better if they had adapted and spent more time on concept A.

When I am observing candidates, I would far rather see a "standard" solid lesson with a clear objective and evidence of learning than a "bells and whistles" one where the pupils don't actually make much progress.

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

One candidate spotted the class problem child in the first 20 seconds. Got the job. Can't plan for that: you just have to be competent.
    Another was clearly less in touch with the subject matter than any of the Y12 pupils. Didn't get the job.