1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the main golden points schools look for in a demo lesson & lesson plan?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by z_a_39, Jun 14, 2020.

1. z_a_39

z_a_39 New commenter

I am a social science/humanities teacher. Whenever I have done demo lessons and submitted lesson plans at schools, I put my heart and soul into them, making a unique, fun, memorable lesson. Then come the interview/feedback they say the lesson was sub-par because of this, that and the other. Basically it didn't tick the boxes on paper.

My main question, for future interviews I get, is: What are the main golden points schools look for in a demo lesson, and a lesson plan to make sure it ticks all their boxes for you being a brilliant teacher. I know I am a good teacher, but the reason I am not making the cut is because I am not ticking their boxes.

For future lessons/lesson plans, what do I do to make the lesson not just eye-catching, but tick all of the bureaucratic boxes as well?

2. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

1. Check where they are to begin with.
    2. Teach them a new thing.
    3. Check they understand the thing.
    4. Have them practice the thing.
    5. Assess how far they learned the thing.

I've stopped teaching "unique, fun, memorable lessons" for interview. It felt dishonest - I'm not going to do that every day I teach so why should I create some whizz-bang super-duper lesson if they're only going to see it once in a blue moon? Instead I just do a solid lesson that's representative of the teaching I do every day.

As a line manager interviewing people for posts, these aren't "bureaucratic boxes." I want to see that a teacher knows the basics of their craft. If I were auditioning a guitarist and they played some ludicrous '80s hair-metal guitar solo it'd certainly be eye-catching (and ear-splitting), but I'd want to see if they could read a chord chart and accompany a singer as well.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. maleprime

maleprime New commenter

Why has my reply from yesterday been deleted? I saw it 20 minutes ago and my first paragraph echoed the same sentiment that Varcolac is making in their reply?

agathamorse likes this.
  4. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

The original poster appears to have posted this thread twice, once here and once in the NQTs and new teachers forum. https://community.tes.com/threads/w...look-for-in-a-demo-lesson-lesson-plan.804403/

Great minds clearly think alike.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Engagement, progress and learning are key imho.

6. maleprime

maleprime New commenter

Oh ha ha thanks for spotting! I was thinking my reply got 'Theo approved' so couldn't understand why it would be deleted.:p

agathamorse likes this.