1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the main differences between old spec and new spec language GCSEs?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Fresa82, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Fresa82

Fresa82 New commenter

Hello,

I’m an MFL trainee who is just starting to prepare for interviews for my NQT year. I’ve been thinking about possible questions that I might be asked and about what I know and don’t yet know about how the new GCSE works and was wondering if anyone could either tell me the main differences between the old GCSE spec and the new one? Or point me in the right direction of where I might find info on this?

TIA!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  2. Caramba

Caramba New commenter

Hi. I would recommend checking out exam board website for information related to changes to GCSEs. If you know which exam board they use, go to this one. The following is link to Pearson/Edexcel:
    https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/gcse-changes.html
    Also, make sure you’re aware of changes to grading from A*-G to 9-1. You can find info on link above.
    Hope this is helpful. Good luck.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Caramba

Caramba New commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  4. ChocolateChunk

ChocolateChunk New commenter

Does your school do AQA or EdExcel?

5. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Old spec: instructions in English. Reading and listening exams were easier. Coursework used for writing and speaking for some boards.

New spec: all instructions in target language. No coursework. Listening exam now hardest of all 4 exams. Plus content has changed with former A level content in GCSE, topics such as volunteering and social issues. In French recognizing and being able to use a few subjunctives needed for grade 9.

pascuam49 likes this.
  6. Fresa82

Fresa82 New commenter

Thank you everyone for your advice. I understand the changes now and I’ve now got a job lined up for September. Thank you!