1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What are the key things you look for in an interview lesson?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Sallym86, May 1, 2012.

1. I have an interview this week for a music post. I have a good idea of my lesson but was just wondering if any one has any key things they would want to see in an outstanding music interview lesson?

2. I have an interview this week for a music post. I have a good idea of my lesson but was just wondering if any one has any key things they would want to see in an outstanding music interview lesson?

3. Your ability to 'bond' with the pupils. Be able to get all the pupils with you.Get them engaged. Maybe make a joke..etcThe topic is one thing and important as it is, your personality is also vital.

[​IMG]

4. I Agree. My students and their welfare is important to me and I 'm going to want to know that any teacher I employ is going to care about them and be able to work with them on a level that is appropriate. However, there is more that I would required. I would want to see a pithy, well planned lesson wich demonstrated the following:
    • Good classroom management
    • Clear objectives
    • Good releationships with pupils
    • Time appropriate activities
    • Much use of encouragement and reward
    Don't try to fit in everything - just be competent at the basics.
    I once invterviewed condidated for a second in dept post> I observed their teaching and one chap seemed to really stand out. He had the students in the palm of his hand. He got a whole class singing and laughing . . . but as the lesson went on (it was 30 minutes) it became apparent that he actually had nothing to teach them except one fun song after another - there was no actual lesson going on - it was just a sing along with his charisma carrying the lesson.
    I did not appoint him.

5. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

Don't drink too much before hand and keep your clothes on. Or at least keep your clothes on.
    Lennox